·
Registered
804 Posts
id assume manual?
where you can choose?

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
Yeah, it's going to have the same feature like the 06+ Duramax/Allison combo. Put the selector in the "M" position and there is probably a +/- button on the shifter that will allow you to control what gear.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The select shift is cool in a small car. But I don't see a need in a pickup. I mean, if you are descending a hill and want to stay in low, pull the shifter down to one. Oh well, what ever. I still want a 2011!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm... interesting *scratches chin*

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
its a great feature... and the manual mode is mainly for locking it in gear when towing and when offroading so the transmissions doesnt keep searching like they have a habit of doing... it will prolong the life of it ... as I said its a great feature

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just a fancy way for them to phase out the manual. :sad:

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Just a fancy way for them to phase out the manual. :sad:
the manuals have a higher failure rate than the automatics.... when you actually look at the real numbers.... there are 10x's more automatics as there are manuals... they are seen in the shop with problems about the same amout of time... now with that factor back in how many more automatics there are, and you will see a manual is by far not the route to go as it actually breaks down more often

ya. the company i worked at had a 2006 gmc 3500 with a 8.1 liter that had the M and the +/- on the shifter.
that 8.1 sucks a$$... I have driven a few in the past and there is no way I would ever drive one

·
Registered
114 Posts
The select shift is cool in a small car. But I don't see a need in a pickup. I mean, if you are descending a hill and want to stay in low, pull the shifter down to one. Oh well, what ever. I still want a 2011!!!!
Im assuming you dont pull much?:hehe:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
the manuals have a higher failure rate than the automatics.... when you actually look at the real numbers.... there are 10x's more automatics as there are manuals... they are seen in the shop with problems about the same amout of time... now with that factor back in how many more automatics there are, and you will see a manual is by far not the route to go as it actually breaks down more often
You should also factor in that when they do sell a manual it is almost always to someone that is going to be doing alot of towing and doesn't want the auto for just that reason. Probably 70% of the autos are sold to some guy that always wanted a truck like that and never uses it for what it was built for. I mean look at the trim levels in these things; they obviously aren't workhorses anymore.

·
Registered
163 Posts
that 8.1 sucks a$$... I have driven a few in the past and there is no way I would ever drive one[/QUOTE]

ya. i didnt like it. sucks on gas mileage but i have to say it did have some power for a gaser

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
You should also factor in that when they do sell a manual it is almost always to someone that is going to be doing alot of towing and doesn't want the auto for just that reason. Probably 70% of the autos are sold to some guy that always wanted a truck like that and never uses it for what it was built for. I mean look at the trim levels in these things; they obviously aren't workhorses anymore.
but why do you want a manual for towing? and auto makes it much easier and its more reliable... the only problem with the auto was searching for gears on inclines... which has been addressed with the feature this thread is speaking of... i tow huge loads with my truck on a regular basis and i would hate to have a manual in it.... especially when in traffic... in a sports car manual is great but in a truck I want an auto for sure

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
I agree this is an excellent feature. I read that the 6.7 will have an exhaust brake. It said it activated in tow haul mode. So is there not a button like there is on the cummins? I know my buddy with a 6.7 cummins can basically stop his truck by turning on the exhaust brake and using the manual mode of his trans its pretty sweet :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If it works right I think it would be great too. I mainly like being able to drop it into 1st when the traffic is backed up and just idle through it for a mile or two without worrying about overworking the fluid. I spend most of my time on the Istate and not messing with alot of traffic (except through West Memphis where the construction will never end) and the manuals have always seemed to pull harder and more fuel efficiently.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Bill, you also have a newer truck. The autos in the OBS trucks are not up to the same performance levels as your '06. If I could justify a new one, I'd be riding in one.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Bill, you also have a newer truck. The autos in the OBS trucks are not up to the same performance levels as your '06. If I could justify a new one, I'd be riding in one.
ok, this statement makes sense.... the previous one didnt... so I get your point with this.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like the manual shifting auto idea, but I like towing with a real manual better. I don't understand how someone can say that an auto is more reliable than a manual.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts