Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford F 450 2011 6.7 broken valves have pics

Has anyone had any problems with engine? My 2011 6.7 has broken valves engine is gone. Only 20,000 miles. Waiting on local dealer to do the right thing tought this was a bullet proof engine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can you give more details?

Tuned or not?

Were you towing when this happened? If so, how much were you pulling?

What were the conditions when she went? Normal driving, or getting on it?

1,023 Posts
Can you give more details?

Tuned or not?

Were you towing when this happened? If so, how much were you pulling?

What were the conditions when she went? Normal driving, or getting on it?
Its a 450. Slightly different than 250-350. 450s and 550s are the only trucks ive seen problems with thus far... Hear alot about it from FMCdealer forums blowin up glow plug tips falling apart, injectors blowing out of the head, pistons melting, all kinds of nightmarish storys.

Ive only seen failed turbos and cracked up pipes in 450s-550s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a work truck. not towing normal driving. started to drive away got 2 blocks started hearing engine noise got it back home. towed to dealer started at dealer engine seized while they tried compression check.

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
not good at all! any updates?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I've seen a few from a piston cooling jet breaking and damaging the camshaft which in turn destroyed more than a few valves.

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well...if it wasn't tuned, and you have been keeping the prescribed maintenance up, Ford should take care of you.

Please let us know the verdict when you get the chance.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
450-550s are obviously under a lot more stress and heat than the lighter trucks. that's why engineering thinks these valves are failing, that and possibly a hardening process was skipped during manufacturing

i've done one 550 long block and just did a turbo on one yesterday

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Difference between the motors isn't anything right? Just a difference in tuning. Basically robbing them of ~20hp for "safety"?????

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!!!
It'll buff out...

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
That looks like a glow plug tip made hell in that cylinder

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
Good god, hope I don't have that happen in my 250. That's crazy.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Good god, hope I don't have that happen in my 250. That's crazy.
Off topic, Rob I just realized you live in Layton. I was just there the other day at your local Les Schwab getting new wheels put on. Any experience with that store?

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
Off topic, Rob I just realized you live in Layton. I was just there the other day at your local Les Schwab getting new wheels put on. Any experience with that store?
Haha, you don't know how long I've waited for someone to ask me about that particular store. Hope ya got a minute to read. Was it the LS next to the Khols store on Main Street?

I had my 6.0 at the time, and I needed new tires. Well I had 16" wheels at that time and thought what the heck, I'll check out LS. So I was looking around and asked for a quote on new tires. They were outrageous for tires that would fit that size wheel, they told me they had a package deal that would be cheaper, and put me in new 37" tires with 18" wheels. I said hook it up. I'm In.
So I buy them, they look wonderful. I come back for my retorque and when they're done I notice some crescent shaped dings in my wheels. I let it go that time.
I go back in another 3000 miles and ask for a balance/rotation. When they were done I look and notice a lot more damage on two more of my wheels. I was pissed beyond belief. I comained to the manager,(his name is Dave I think, he has a short flat top haircut and be has gray hair). He told me the damage came from rocks, but these dents and dings were smooth crescent shaped and were all uniform. Each one looked like the other. He tells me he doesn't believe me and can't accept the fact that his technicians would damage my wheels. I laughed and said whatever. I said I believed that they were dropping my lug nuts on my wheels causing the damage. He told me and I quote,"Let's go drop some lug nuts!" I agreed thinking he was gonna drop some on an old wheel. boy was I wrong.
He picked up about 8 or so lug nuts out of a box, walked to within 5 feet of my truck and proceeded to baseball pitch all of the nuts he grabbed at my passenger front wheel and tire. It was all I could do to keep from cleaning his clock right there.
He stood up straight, looked me in the eye all red-faced and said he believed me now because each and every one of those lugnuts caused the same crescent shaped ding in that undamaged wheel. Now I had three that were damaged.
He thought for a minute and said," well we can't replace all of your wheels, but I'll do two." I gave a sarcastic laugh and told him that I had a better idea, that he could replace three plus the one he just damaged or I'd have his azz in a sling if I didn't get them all replaced free of charge and that if he didn't agree to that, I'd get corporate LS involved. Needless to say I got four brand new wheels, and I am required to be present each and everytime they service any vehicle of mine so this doesn't happen again.
I'll never go back there, I'll spend my money at another LS dealer just so I don't have to deal with his arrogant crew.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts