Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question concerns the LEDs on the 2010 F250 dash panel.
I took the dash panel out and replaced a few of the SMD 5050 LEDs on the circuit board. Now none of the dash LEDs work. I checked the position of the new LEDs and they are consistent with the previous LEDs - I positioned them in the correct polarity. I'm not sure where to start looking or start checking. If the circuit board has a built-in power regulator (?) that may impact the power flow.
Any suggestions? It seems like a straightforward replacement (de-solder the old LEDs and solder the new ones in). I've done this many times before with no issues. Does FORD have some sort of "passive-aggressive, anti-changing anything on OUR truck" system??? <cynicism most definitely intended>.

I'm looking forward to any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
707 Posts
Either polarity is reversed or the leds are not the correct voltage???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply XPLOSIV. already double-checked both. They're 12v, 5050 SMD LEDs and the polarity is marked on the dash PCB, so you can't really get it backwards if you're paying attention to the orientation. The part tht really baffles me is, now my mirrors won't fold either. It's got to be something that's connecting both of those functions to the circuit board, But I can't decipher what. The board isn't cracked or anything. Ford is less than cooperative when it came to giving me a ****pit wiring diagram too.
If you come up with any other ideas feel free to post it. I'll keep checking in the meantime.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That's crazy. Sounds like you know what your doing, so not trying to insult. Did you cross a solder line. Can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Why? Why? Why?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the reply XPLOSIV. already double-checked both. They're 12v, 5050 SMD LEDs and the polarity is marked on the dash PCB, so you can't really get it backwards if you're paying attention to the orientation. The part tht really baffles me is, now my mirrors won't fold either. It's got to be something that's connecting both of those functions to the circuit board, But I can't decipher what. The board isn't cracked or anything. Ford is less than cooperative when it came to giving me a ****pit wiring diagram too.
If you come up with any other ideas feel free to post it. I'll keep checking in the meantime.
Thanks again.
If the mirrors are not working also, I would suspect a blown fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys

Ruffstuff?? Don't understand your reply. Why did I change the LEDs on the dash? That faded, puke-green color is obnoxious as hell and actually ruins my night vision. I'm replacing the exact same LEDs, only in different colors to make night driving more "optically friendly". The ones I'm using draw the same amount of power, but give off more light too - easier to glance down and pick up the info I need.
Auto manufacturers build their products to the "good enough" standard. If you want something that works better or has enhanced attributes, you have to do it yourself (hence the reason for the 'aftermarket'). In this case, it would seem like a straightforward exchange, if you know what to do. Luckily, I've experimented with my own vehicles and have done some research to make the process relatively straightforward. The only glitch comes when a vehicle has some sort of quirky design that impedes making these kinds of changes. I don't know why manufacturers would make it difficult for the customer to upgrade their "stuff", but some do that simply as a matter of corporate ignorance and lack of consideration for the customer. Just my opinion.
I'll check the fuses again, and thanks for your input, folks. I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ruffstuff?? Don't understand your reply. Why did I change the LEDs on the dash? That faded, puke-green color is obnoxious as hell and actually ruins my night vision.

I would like white, but the green is much better than red!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Did you use an electric soldering iron? Like SREDMYER said did you check fuses? Did you take the cluster out to work on it? I assume your talking about the LEDs that backlight your instrument cluster? If I remember correctly you will get a diffrent voltage drop (I think they have a diffrent resistance) depending on the color emitted, so you may not be getting enought voltage to them all to light them up. But I wouldnt take my word on it, You'll want to talk to someone with an electrical engineering backround. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts