Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a f350 and it's my first diesel so there was some negligence on my part as far as knowing what to look for before buying. It has 90k on it, but it seems the previous owner neglected to drain the water separator regularly. Recently popped the p0088 code, had it diagnosed and they said water and rust was found in the fuel system and recommended a complete fuel system rebuild. The dealership wants 10k for it which is why I don't use dealerships. I've read about rebuild kits but am unable to find one for the 6.4. Didn't know if anyone knew where I could find one or had any recommendations on how to proceed with the job or possibly any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
There ya go, ;)

I suggest getting ForScan to monitor the engine parameters your self
drain the HFCM and change the fuel filters -- should be any rust getting past the filters
The rail pressure sensor may be at fault, but you need to monitor the pressures to see if it spikes or lags from the desired pressures set by the PCM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There ya go, ;)

drain the HFCM and change the fuel filters -- should be any rust getting past the filters
The rail pressure sensor may be at fault, but you need to monitor the pressures to see if it spikes or lags from the desired pressures set by the PCM
I'm new to doing any kind of ECU work or monitoring on vehicles, I've always been more of a parts changer. Is the forscan easy to use and figure out pressures and all that?

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
With a 6.4, you will need to get used to monitoring -- or get rid of the diesel
not trying to be harsh, just trying to let you know there is a steep curve to owning a diesel and getting long miles from it
the other option is take it to the dealer each time and bend over

·
Registered
498 Posts
Or you could just get a $15 OBDII port reader and download the torque pro app to monitor everything on your phone. Definitely drain the separator and do the fuel filters to see if there are any particles in the bowl of any kind. Should be sparkly clean otherwise you may be due for a fuel system rebuild.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a 6.4, you will need to get used to monitoring -- or get rid of the diesel
not trying to be harsh, just trying to let you know there is a steep curve to owning a diesel and getting long miles from it
the other option is take it to the dealer each time and bend over
Gotcha. I ordered a cable designed for Forscan and I'm going to play around with it on my laptop until the cable gets here to try and get a feel for it. Once I get it hooked up and figured out I'll post what I come up with on here. Appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
I use a bluetooth adapter in my old laptop -- my good laptop was in my truck when it was stolen in May
Currently using the BAFX adapter, but was using the OBDLink MX+ -- both of these are proven to work on our trucks
the cable is fine but you are tethered to the truck

My current truck has a Livewire+ in it, so using that as a daily monitor, the old truck I was using a Samsung tablet and Torque Pro -- I liked the larger screen of the tablet
I found a splitter OBD cable on amazon that I use to run ForScan and the Livewire at the same time
so far the "new" truck seems to be trouble free -- got another '06 F250, came out of Tennessee so no rust

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a bluetooth adapter in my old laptop -- my good laptop was in my truck when it was stolen in May
Currently using the BAFX adapter, but was using the OBDLink MX+ -- both of these are proven to work on our trucks
the cable is fine but you are tethered to the truck

My current truck has a Livewire+ in it, so using that as a daily monitor, the old truck I was using a Samsung tablet and Torque Pro -- I liked the larger screen of the tablet
I found a splitter OBD cable on amazon that I use to run ForScan and the Livewire at the same time
so far the "new" truck seems to be trouble free -- got another '06 F250, came out of Tennessee so no rust
Yeah I'm definitely looking for a tuner/monitor for it as well for ease of constant monitoring. I've been lean toward either edge or livewire but for the time being I'm just trying to handle the problem at hand. That's why I just got the cable for now

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just did filters and new water separator valve. The one fuel filter on the frame had some slime on it but that's all I noticed
Did the one in the engine bay have any particles at all? Were the filters pretty dark from past overdue changing? If it all looked good the only thing you can do is watch the fuel pressures. I think our system peaks at about 25,000 psi. Normal highway driving with 10psi of boost is about 10-12k psi fuel pressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the one in the engine bay have any particles at all? Were the filters pretty dark from past overdue changing? If it all looked good the only thing you can do is watch the fuel pressures. I think our system peaks at about 25,000 psi. Normal highway driving with 10psi of boost is about 10-12k psi fuel pressure.
Didn't notice too much on the engine bay one, the one on the frame was yellowed but it wasn't super dark. Once this cable comes in I'll monitor for pressure changes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There ya go, ;)

I just did a test run with Forscan, p0088 code in the PCM but pending in the OBDII but it kept my truck in limp mode. Ran the test in limp mode anyway and after about 20-30 minutes of driving I didn't have any big fluctuations on my FRP and it always seemed to operate right in line with the desired range. Should I clear everything to get it out of limp mode and run the test that way now? Kinda at a loss since there wasn't an obvious answer

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
Yeah, clear the codes, only need to see "fresh" codes anyways

1 - 14 of 14 Posts