Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2009 F-250 6.4 Going into limp mode

Tags
6.4 limp mode
7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mjmck 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm very new to the world of diesel. Last week I purchased a 2009 F-250 6.4L pickup. It has 155,xxx miles on it. There is no tuner or modifications that I can see. It appears to be all stock.

We made the purchase from a small dealer about 200 miles away. On the way home after driving for about 20 minutes I noticed a green wrench had lit up. We checked the manual and found it had gone in to limp mode. I could not notice any difference in the way the truck runs. Since then the truck goes into this mode after 20 minutes or so of constant driving.

We have done the following since bringing it home:

New oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filters, drained the water from the valve.

I have not seen any smoke from the tailpipe or any other issues. I know it has some oil leaking from somewhere on the bottom of the motor but it doesn't seem to be a lot. We have run it around 400 miles so far and nothing really seems to happen when the wrench comes on. Once the truck is turned off and restarted it goes away until it's run again.

I took it to O'Reilly and used their reader to find the following faults:

B1324 - Electronic Control Unit Malfunction
P012F - Something to do with coolant/oil temps
P2291 - Injector Control Pressure Too Low - Engine Cranking

I'm not at all mechanically inclined and this is my first diesel truck and my most expensive vehicle. I was hoping someone would point me in the right direction as to what to do next. I'm not a fan of my local Ford dealership but I will take it there if needed. I just don't want to blow something and destroy what I'd like to keep around for a long time. Any help is very appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Gonna need more to go off of than just a hand held scanner from an auto parts store.

But it sounds like your oil cooler or tstats (probably both...) are toast (clogged). Before you do anything more if you can return the truck or have the dealer you purchased it from do the repairs. You could very well have a failed high pressure fuel pump as well...

Here is the deal dude... Depending on what the ect/eot delta is the cab is most likely going up for a very expensive repair. The p2291 code could be a failing fuel rail pressure sensor or a weak hpfp. Either way, DO NOT DRIVE IT. If the pump itself hasn't already gone there is a chance its a ticking time bomb. If it grenades your entire fuel system must be replaced. The cost for that alone is in the realm of $5000-$8000 depending on who does the work.

There are too many unknowns without having the truck in front of us to diagnose, but I can tell you one thing... You are most likely in for some pain in the wallet if you can't return the truck or get the seller to front the bill.

Reactions: palmettostroke
#4 ·
^^^^

Check and see if the dealer will take it back though.

Its an expensive repair, and remember you have fuel system issues as well... Your bill could top $7000 easy right now. Not saying its definitely your issues, but keep it in your mind.

But yes, or plan on doing a drain and fill every 15-20k miles at least. The gold coolant is slightly less of an issue on a 6.4 but its twice as expensive to fix when things go wrong.

After you get things fixed (if you do have oil cooler issues have them flush and fill with elc) come chat with us and we will share the ins and outs of owning a 6.4.

#6 ·
If you purchased it from a dealer you sure can take it back. Here in NY its required any vehicle sold from a dealer comes with a 30 day warranty.

Unless the dealer went under the table and gave you an as-is contract to sign.

Id try every avenue to take that rig back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.