Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 F350 that is overall in immaculate shape, but the engine has a noticeable knock. A mechanic noticed a bit of blow-by, a weak #6 piston, but the injectors seemed okay. He seemed inclined to say a rod bearing was causing the knock. His suggestion was to get a new engine.

This is my first diesel. What are common options for major engine issues like this? Is it worth putting a used or refurbished engine in a truck with 144k miles?

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Welcome to the org. Just gonna level with you... Dump the 6.4l as soon as you can. You bought a truck with a worse reputation than the infamous 6.0l when the first came out in 2003. Rocker arm/lifter failures are common in that platform. If you spend just a few minutes of researchin here and google you'll find a few diehard 6.4l fans and we have some troopers here but the vast majority have expensive issues. I would find a shop that can truly diagnose the issue as the "need a new engine" if the easy way but it may be repaired cheaper by a specilaity shop then you can sell or trade it in for a 2014 or newer 6.7l or go back to gassers if you don't truly need a diesel.

Trust me I don't want to be rude the 6.4l is just a very picky engine only made for a few years and can be expensive very quickly for non specialty shops. Here is a link to some of the more common issues though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
To me a rod bearing wouldnt make a knock. I would put a boroscope in cylinder 6 and look at the piston for a crack/hole because that is somewhat common, then go from there
Also put your head close to the intake filter, does the knock get louder like its coming from there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts