Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2008 job1 F250 with about 58k on it from the local GMC dealership in Nov 2011. I bought an extended warranty from them at the time with a $100 deductible. The warranty is through Fidelity.

My truck now has about 66k on it and has developed a slow coolant leak that I've traced to the bottom of the radiator close to the drain****. In researching this problem I have of course read all about rad leaks, venturi tees, and the updated hoses. My truck has neither the venturi tee nor the updated hoses installed.

I also have white smoke when accelerating in the rain which I believed was the TSB 11-2-2 for CAC replacement.

Based on these two I wanted to take my truck to a Ford dealer for repair for obvious reasons so I called Fidelity and they said my local Ford dealership was on their list so I took my truck to them yesterday.

They checked it over and said the CAC replacement would be covered under Ford warranty and done free of charge. The radiator does need to be replaced and Fidelity would cover it pending a warranty claim inspector looking it over within 24-48 hours.

Got the call today that the inspector had been by and approved the claim and my part is going to be $273 including the $100 deductible. I asked about the extra $173 and was told it has to do with Ford says 4 hours to replace and Fidelity only pays for 3 hours, blah blah. Also, warranty will not cover the venturi tee and that is $13 for the part plus $43 to install. I said no thanks, I’ll buy the part and do it myself even though I can get it for $8 but I won’t pay $43 for a 10 minute job.

I told them to proceed with the repair but it still makes me angry that the radiator most likely failed because of the tee but Ford won’t cover it. I know it’s mainly on the previous owner for not bringing it in, but is there any hope I can get Ford to do anything about it? They won’t even include the updated hoses unless I pay $327 for the parts.

Maybe I just need to vent…

·
Registered
875 Posts
What is the venturi tee update?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
The radiator is only covered under the bumper to bumper (36k miles) warranty. That's most likely why Ford refuses to fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The radiator is only covered under the bumper to bumper (36k miles) warranty. That's most likely why Ford refuses to fix it.
I know. Mine is not a new argument and I know that too. It doesn't make me feel any better about it though.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I hear u...when I bought my truck it had 34k miles on it with a radiator leak (tranny fluid line) but Ford refused to fix it because it was "damaged not defective". They overlooked the fact that it was damaged by a Ford tech when the radiator was replaced just 2 months earlier.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My VistaPro rad is made in Mexico too according to the box, hopefully with better QC standards :( Good luck with your fixes! I'm doing massive coolant tune up tonight as well, I have all the new hose part #'s if you need them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I skipped the updated hoses as I know I can get them for about $100 from TASCA and do it myself since they aren't leaking...yet anyway.

I'd like to verify part numbers though:

AC3Z-8260-A upper hose
AC3Z-8286-A lower hose

That's from TSB 11-12-4. Is that the latest for the hoses?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mine weren't leaking either but after hearing excuses about possible air leaking in due to the single o-ring design and needing this thing to be reliable after I put the rad in, I have no choice but to do them anyways so I don't have to do it again later. I really hope I don't have a cavitated cover behind my water pump tonight.

Going to my warehouse now will confirm those numbers for you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hoses;

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up my truck late last night and all looks good. It was raning quite a bit and no white smoke far as I could tell in the dark.

I had to go back today to get my venturi tee kit and I remarked that I could get the exact same part online for about half of the $13 he was charging. There was a manager wandering around behind the counter that told him to sell it to me at wholesale. So, I got it for $7.66 with tax. Minor victory after spending $200.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not bad!! Something better than nothing :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts