Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 07 F350 with 163000 miles that has been BulletProofed. Before buying I had a Diesel shop go through the truck and they found no issues.

While doing a final inspection of the truck I tested the 4 wheel drive with the seller. Everything worked fine but it was obvious the seller had not used the 4wd in a long time, if ever. After buying the truck I started to notice a rubbing/clunking/vibrating noise from the front end on the way home. I thought the hubs may have not unlocked. But I was able to spin both front U-joints and the front drive shaft with no issue. After getting home I lubed the hubs through the vacuum lines and I greased all the U-joints. None of the U-joints appear to be shot and I could not find any sign of the noise.

The noise starts when I press the gas from a stop and increases as I speed up. When I let off the gas it initially stops but then comes back. I can feel resistance as well when the noise starts but then the resistance goes away. When I make sharp right turns the noise increases and when I make sharp left turns it goes away.

I have put the truck on the rack and all the suspension and wheel bearings appear to be fine after shaking the wheel from 12 & 6 and from 3 & 9. With all 4 wheels off the ground we put the truck in 4 wheel drive and only the front left wheel turned. We removed the right hub but it appears to be fine and moves freely. I have not had a chance to remove the left hub yet.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Nothing in the hub that your lube will help in that spot -- what will happen is the lube you put in will be drawn into the vacuum pump and may cause damage there
I suggest removing the hubs and clean them out, then apply some fresh lube to the moving parts

The locking hub works like an ink pen -- push one time, 4x4 -- push again , free wheel -- only with vacuum
the vacuum from the solenoid is pulsed to make that happen
may want to use a hand vacuum and test the lines heading to the hubs for leaks

sounds like you have a wheel bearing heading south -- turn slightly one way and it gets quieter - the other way louder
you may not feel the slack in the wheel

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Double row ball bearing -- the old narrow roller bearing was better -- still older tapered bearing was best, my old '79 has those -- tough as nails

·
Administrator
29,502 Posts
not sure we are talking the same thing here ??

was refering to the spindle/innermost unit bearing bearing ;-)

i never see people with a sealed spindle bearing failure ,,
the old needle bearing types were more problematic IMR

IMR = in my reading lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I lifted the front end off the ground, locked both hubs, turned the wheels all the way left and right, while rotating the wheels and I could not hear any new or strange noises. I greased the U-Joints and noticed grease coming out between cap and body (pictures attached of both left/right). I could also hear air escaping from where the grease was coming out. Not sure if that is normal or not. There is also a little play, not much at all from the right/passenger shaft where it meets the U-Joints.

I took the truck for a drive, although better, it is still making the low grinding/clunking vibration noise. I am almost positive it is coming from the right/passenger side. When I make a hard right turn it gets worse. Any ideas as to what to do next? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m at a loss for exactly what this is. Does any one have any suggestions?
Can I replace just the bearing and not have to replace the whole wheel hub/bearing assembly?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts