Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 has developed starting issues. Lately, when I turn it to start I get one click and then nothing...sometimes it will start but most times not. I have checked fuses and relays, batteries are good, alternator is good. It will start when I connect the yellow starter wire direct to the battery every time.... Where do I look next???

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
We been thru this several times on this forum

There are three circuit loops for the start system -- you have already tested one of them, with the jumper wire (#1)
next is the start relay in the fuse box (#2) -- jump terminal 30 and 87 - does the engine crank?
search Bosch mini relay if you are not certain of the terminals -- also marked on most relays, near the terminals

Reactions: TheLinconlGreen

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We been thru this several times on this forum

There are three circuit loops for the start system -- you have already tested one of them, with the jumper wire (#1)
next is the start relay in the fuse box (#2) -- jump terminal 30 and 87 - does the engine crank?
search Bosch mini relay if you are not certain of the terminals -- also marked on most relays, near the terminals

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I should have stated I've been through the ice, ipr, FUCM, and had narrowed it down to an ignition issue, but didn't know where to go with that.

Hydro, when I jump 30 and 87 and it'll crank....

Does this mean it's an ignition switch as TheLinconlGreen mentioned?

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Not necessarily, the relay could be bad -- you would need to test it or replace

Also the next, is the "safety circuit" -- this is what operates the start relay
so, ignition switch, trans position switch, PCM

Testing to see if the start relay in the fuse box is "clicking" when the key is turned to start, is the next step

Did you test 30 and 87 yet?

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
86 and 85 are the terminals that cause the relay to click

use a test light or meter and see if you get 12 volts on 86 with the key in start

85 is the ground provided by the PCM -- you would connect one lead to a "hot" point and the other to 85 to see if the ground is present
ground is affected by neutral or park signal at the trans switch -- so move the shifter handle to check

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ground checks out.....I am starting to think about the fan clutch... No matter how I have started it recently, whether it starts with the key or I jump it, the fan is always engaged for the first mile or so, then shuts off.....

On a side note, I had to jump it this morning and, just to see how it would respond, I shut it off when I got to the shop. I let it sit for 5 min and tried cranking with the key and it fired right up.....

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Those types of clutch may or may not be ON at startup, depending on where the "weep hole" landed in the rotation -- perfectly normal action

So, your getting 12 volts on 86 and ground on 85?

The relay only supplies power to the starter jumper wire thru the harness -- just like when you jump it to the battery
Does the jumper wire "always" run the starter or does it some times fail?

Side note: I have a "bad" starter on my Jeep -- Let me know if this scenario is like yours -- the "click" sound is under the hood

Sometimes I have to turn the key several times to get the starter to run -- I can hear the click at the starter
what the problem is -- is not the starter, but instead a bad starter solenoid -- the contacts inside are burned out / worn down
When the starter decides to run, the engine cranks over quickly as ever, so the motor and gears are fine

Have not had time to get the starter off and look, but I have seen this problem many times over the years
The battery cable post is almost always worn down to the point the contacts will no longer meet
Turning the post 1/2 turn will give a new surface to the contacts and will "get you by" for a long time
So, the Jeep may get this treatment, we will see

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the late reply, work has been killer.....

12v on 86 and ground on 85 confirmed.... it now won't start even using the yellow wire on the battery.... headed to the shop as I have exhausted my time to spend on it. .. thanks for the help guys!!!!!

Thinking it may be the neutral ground and from my understanding on the 2006 it's inside the trans....

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
The jumper wire to the battery trick, bypasses all the wiring inside the truck -- this leaves only the starter or batteries

Save the shop bill and put a starter on it -- pretty easy job

1 - 13 of 13 Posts