Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope someone can point me in the right direction.

1. My 2006 F250 Lariat; while driving the interior dash lights on the climate controls and the cluster will randomly turn on and off about 5 times. Seems to happen once per drive and This happens if the lights are on auto OR off; I havent experienced it when the lights are switched to on. When it happens I can hear a relay switching over top of the engine and radio. Also, I don't know if the headlights and tail lights flash with the interior lights, but it lights up (when flashing) as if I'm switching on the lights from the switch. Weird huh?

2. When I park my truck at work I lock my doors using the two last buttons on the outside of the door before I walk in and leave the remote inside the truck. I come out at the end of the day and they're unlocked (parked in "secure parking") Alternatively, I leave the truck unlocked and windows down in the garage at home; when I get in in the morning, all the doors are locked. Also weird, huh?

3. I bought the truck used, the previous owner had a remote start/alarm installed that can lock/unlock doors. A few weeks ago the alarm went off randomly during the day and at night for a couple days and I think this is explained by the doors locking/unlocking as previously described. Since then I've switched the alarm to "valet mode" which disables the actual alarm and remote start function but retains the lock/unlock function and I don't get a rude alarm in the middle of the night WHILE securely in the garage literally below my bedroom.

Any thoughts? Sorry if this is a commonly discussed issue. I searched for the light issue but now that I think about it I don't know I if specifically searched for the door locks. Wondering if the issues are related or if it's coincidence that they're both occurring now.

I'm ready to rip out the remote start/alarm... but I'm nervous to take it out and do damage. From what I can tell in the alarm wiring diagram there aren't any inline connections, only taps, so I THINK I'd be ok by disconnecting everything. Anyone ever removed an alarm/remote start that YOU didn't install?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Pretty weird. What brand is the alarm? It might sound like it's programmed for active arming and for whatever reason it doesn't know when to truck is running. Do you have the wiring diagram for ur truck? 2006-2007*Ford*F-Series Super Duty*Vehicle Wiring Chart and Diagram
And also the wiring for the alarm and programming instructions. Those tap could be part of the problem. They don't always make a good connection. I removed my viper alarm that I didn't install from my wrecked 2007 F250, and reinstalled it on my new 2007 F250. Keep us posted :thumb:

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Administrator
29,499 Posts
If your not going to look in to getting remotes and start using the compustar
I would take it out
t taps are easy but make sure when u remove them the OEM wire is not cut thru

and look for spliced in modules like a starter kill that would actually require slicing back in the OEM wire

if nothing else this will eliminate one possible cause and avoid future .

probably just an alarm remote stuck between the seats LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the thing, I have the remotes, and the remote start works as does the lock/unlock function, I just don't use it and suspect that this system is part of the cause for at least part of my problem.

I used the remote to switch it to valet mode so I and my 3 year old don't get rudely awakened by the truck sounding the horn at 3 am randomly.

I initially thought the remote was the problem, so I started leaving it in the truck. The alarm still went off so I switched to valet mode (no noise and no remote start). Nothing between the seats, I checked several times ... I wish there were and it was that easy ?

·
Registered
858 Posts
The compustar feature that causes the vehicle to lock and arm itself is called*passive arming. In this mode the vehicle will automatically lock and arm the alarm 30 seconds after exiting the vehicle.*

How to deactivate passive arming:

Have the vehicle turned off and the doors closed,*unlock the vehicle or disarm the alarm system by pressing unlock on your remote.

Press the unlock and the trunk buttons (II & III) at the same time. (press and release do not press*and hold)*

You should receive two parking light flashes to show you are exiting the passive arming mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOLVED

Problem solved folks; turned out to be the COMPUSTAR alarm/remote start system. I took it out last weekend and haven't had any of the previously mentioned symptoms. While taking it out I found some "suspect" connections so I imagine there's nothing actually WRONG with the system, just wiggling its way lose over time; but I took it out completely anyways.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sweet!! What did you replace it with?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet!! What did you replace it with?
I didn't replace it, just removed it. I'm going to take it to Ford and see if they can get me some Ford remotes for the door locks; previous owner only had the COMPUSTAR remotes. I ASSUME that since my truck is a lariat it had door lock remotes at some point...then again Ive been way wrong about these things before...

·
Registered
858 Posts
I didn't replace it, just removed it. I'm going to take it to Ford and see if they can get me some Ford remotes for the door locks; previous owner only had the COMPUSTAR remotes. I ASSUME that since my truck is a lariat it had door lock remotes at some point...then again Ive been way wrong about these things before...
Yeah, it probably did. Does it have a keypad on the driver door? You can also find replacement remotes on ebay. Programming them is pretty easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts