Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could pick your brains on a few things. I have a buddy that is selling his 2006 F-350 6.0L XLT diesel. He has 97,000 miles on it and has owned it since new. He has had the dealer he bought it from to every oil change, maintenance, etc. Just last week he had the EGR cooler and tube replaced and Ford replaced one of the turbo boots. The engine is completely stock and it has never been overworked or abused. Mostly just a daily driver and hauled a camper and skidsteer loader every now and again.

My question is, after reading alot of negative and positive reviews on the 6.0L from what I can gather is the 6.0L had alot of issues when first introduced in 2003 but Ford seemed to make improvements by the 2005-2007 model years. I am wondering if some of you can shed some more light on the 6.0L engine. Is it a reliable engine given the stock configuration? Or is it the problematic engine that other people have talked about? Most of the negative comments I have seen on the 6.0L have seemed to be from people that have chipped or otherwise modified the stock configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Read the first link in my signature.

When the egr cooler was replaced the oil cooler should have been replace too. You want to check that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2006 ford f-350 6.0 l

Read the first link in my signature.

When the egr cooler was replaced the oil cooler should have been replace too. You want to check that.

So overall is the 6.0L a good reliable engine or something to stay away from? The work done on this truck was done under a ford extended warranty so I'm pretty sure when the egr cooler and tube were replaced the oil cooler was replaced as well but I will find out for sure.

Am I mostly correct in stating that the majority of 6.0L problems arise from altering the stock configuration? If left stock should it perform reliably for Many years if not abused? Any help shedding light on these questions would be great

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Welcome to the org. First it should be said that these engines seem to be work horses that suffer from some critical flaws, some in the engineering and smog junk, others from Ford related specifications. As with any vehicle, and even more so with diesels maintenance is crucial. That said if this vehicle was meticulously maintained, repaired immediately when necessary and driven without being unduly abused they are ok. The most important issue here seems to me to be that the wrong coolant is spec'd from the factory. Overheating the coolant seems to gel the silicates and additives causing the oil cooler to become clogged starting a bad spiral of events. Get rid of the coolant in favor of an CAT I ELC coolant, and do frequent flushes and filter the coolant with a bypass filter to get rid of the junk left in the block seems to help. The headgasket issues stem from two things it seems. One would be issues of EGR cooler ruptures causing coolant to get into the cylinders causing over pressure of the combustion chambers, and two the fact that there are only four head bolts clamping the head to the block at each cylinder and weak tty (torque to yield) head bolts that can stretch under these conditions. If you can avoid this situation, and can be prepared (financially) to do a head gasket replacement adding head studs to increase clamping pressure on the head gaskets in the event of a blown hg, the trucks are very good and not something to run from or avoid. That said if I had bought mine new and had a bunch of these problems I'd be leary and pissed to boot, but I didn't and went in aware of the issues, read a ton of info on this and other forums and willing to accept the consequences of the potentials to get a truck that is rated to do what I need it to. In comparison I am one of those lucky individuals that own a Dodge/Cummins and a Ford/PSD. Ford truck is a much better quality truck than the Dodge...BUT...my 01 Dodge with the Cummins and a manual trans. has given me ZERO mechanical failures in 125k miles, running 400+ rear wheel hp and towing heavy for most of it's life, while within 2 months of ownership of my Ford F-450 has cost me $4000.00+ in modifications and upgrades to make it a dependable toter able to avoid most of it's inherant issues...BUT...I do tow a very heavy trailer and can't risk a truck that is not dependable. So to conclude this long winded dissertation, I love my Ford...period. It cost me far far less than a new truck of any kind and cost of the truck plus the potential repairs will not add up to the cost of a new truck like the one I have ($70,000+) so to coin a phrase " It's all good".

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
The 6.0 is a great engine once the little problem areas are dealt with. You are under a misconception about the main problem being related to modified or tuned trucks. The 6.0 responds great to tuning and with custom tunes and an SCT device can be tuned and reliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I found out from the owner that he just flushed the coolant a week ago when they did the egr cooler. Says he has always used motorcraft coolant and nothing else since new. Wasn't sure had to look at records to see if they did oil cooler at the same time as the egr. Says he noticed something wrong with his throttle response and his check engine light came on so it went straight to ford for repairs. It's always been worked on at the same dealer and always maintained. Any ideas on a possible extended warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Preen, so what are the major problem areas to be dealt with? If the owner has done the egr cooler and tube do I have any worries for a while? Or are those the major troubles? Thanks for clearing up the tuning issue

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
As previously stated, the Motorcraft coolant is crap. If the oil cooler wasn't changed at the time that the EGR cooler was, there is a great possibility that the oil cooler is plugged. The only way to know this is to monitor the EOT/ECT to see the difference. I would not worry too much about the other stuff as this is the real matter of importance. What one could do is invest in a Scangauge 2 (like 150.00...cheap insurance, usable on other vehicles), plug it in to the OBDII port and check the difference between the EOT and the ECT. If the EOT after being on the highway for 20 min at a level cruize of about 65mph is 10 degrees higher than the coolant (ECT) oil cooler is suspect, 15 degrees and its well plugged and needs to be replaced. Might cost a grand or so to get it replaced. Flush the coolant and sb good to go, unless the truck has other issues. Oil cooler, EGR cooler and coolant...the major issues. Head gaskets usually a secondary problem to the prior issues commented on. Buy the truck right.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Preen, so what are the major problem areas to be dealt with? If the owner has done the egr cooler and tube do I have any worries for a while? Or are those the major troubles? Thanks for clearing up the tuning issue
Did you read the first link in my signature as I suggested in my first post. Most of the 6.0 issues and fixes are discussed there.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Idahoser, there is no saving your oil cooler. It is toast with a 40* delta. You might as well just figure on replacing it. With that big a delta be very careful or you could be doing head gaskets and not just the coolers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
[sorry PGreen, I deleted and re-added to get my new signature to show]

Buy the Scan Gauge II. Even if you don't end up buying this truck, you can use the tool on any '96 and up and it's way better than the one they use at AutoZone. With this tool you can check codes and turn off the check engine light and all that stuff.

What makes this so much better is it can also use the data coming from that same port while you're driving, and give you all manner of useful info. Most important for this truck in particular is to monitor the ECT and EOT to find out the condition of that oil cooler. If the temp difference is too much then it needs to be flushed.

I've only had my truck for a month, and my ScanGauge for three days. Once I get the truck in the right condition to get meaningful numbers, I have a temperature delta of 40 degrees, meaning I have a badly clogged oil cooler. I'm not going to put it to any hard work, but I'm also not going to panic. I was blissfully unaware and the truck ran great for a month, so I'm okay with leaving it alone for a few weeks while I gather the stuff to do the flush. There's special chemicals and I need to make fittings and such, and I don't really want to do it in 100 degree weather either. So I'm waiting, but I know I have to take it easy. It still runs a risk I'm sure, but unless the truck makes a different decision that's where I'm at. There are some very long and interesting threads here and other forums with lots of pictures, so I feel pretty good about doing it myself for a couple hundred, rather than paying somebody else to do it. I will attempt to salvage my clogged oil cooler by backflushing it before I decide to replace it. I will put off the decision to replace the EGR cooler with the better BulletProof Diesel version. I will get the flush all done and if it's good, then I'll install a coolant filter and switch to the Caterpillar coolant.

I now feel very good about the 6.0L. These forums are awesome. The truck is fantastic. The engine has some issues that need to be addressed. When they are properly taken care of, you will have a very good reliable vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PGReenSVT- when I clicked on the link it said the page couldn't be found but I will try to access it on a desktop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
PGreen, is there any write-up on how to do an EGR delete and replace the oil cooler? I haven't seen one on here, but I may not be looking in the right places.

Jake

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts