Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddies 06 6.0 i have been taking care of for him. Truck has 190,000 miles on it. Truck runs great.Gets on average 17mpg and is bonestock. Problem is that just recently it began to have starting issues. When cold it takes a few more cranks than it usualy would to start. When fully up to temp the truck is a pain in the ***. Very hard to start and takes alot of cranktime to get it to fire. Im leaning toward a high pressure oil leak but figuered i would ask some of you seasoned veterans on the 6.0 for your input.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Could be hpop leak, while your at it, load test the batteries, and perform the ficm check procedure.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
update us after you check those things we always have for things for you to check.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Could be as simple as icp, ipr, or stc.. All three of those will cause hard starts, if it starts at all..

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to put in there already did a rebuilt ficm by ficmrepair.com and has fresh batteries and a completely serviced fuel system. It has about 2500 on an oil change.

Thanks
Nathan

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Need to read codes, could also be the start of combustion gases leaking past the injectors. Any smoke?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am also having the same problem. performance is there but just a PITA to start wihen warm. cold is the same problem but not as bad..

I would also love to know what the problem could be.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I am also having the same problem. performance is there but just a PITA to start wihen warm. cold is the same problem but not as bad..

I would also love to know what the problem could be.
warm hard start......hpo leak. What year?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zero smoke from the truck. Have been leaning toward a hpo leak but wanted to check with guys who have probably dealt with this similar problem.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
55 Posts
warm hard start......hpo leak. What year?

its 2006 with only 88k miles.

At first it was only doing it at cold starts and not it dose it cold and warm..Just yesterday it was really bad where it look about 8 sec to start after letting the truck sit for bout 20-30min..
Also Ford is telling me there is nothing wrong with the truck according to there service tech.

Would a HPOP be covered under a base care extended plan???

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Like Southend said, you need to see if your throwing any codes!

·
Registered
365 Posts
O rings on the dummie plugs. Might be worn out. They changed mine. It starts up fine now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
its 2006 with only 88k miles.

At first it was only doing it at cold starts and not it dose it cold and warm..Just yesterday it was really bad where it look about 8 sec to start after letting the truck sit for bout 20-30min..
Also Ford is telling me there is nothing wrong with the truck according to there service tech.

Would a HPOP be covered under a base care extended plan???

How would you check the HPOP if thats the problem without having a FORD ISP SCANNER??

FICM is rock solid at 48.5 volts key on engine off and during cranking and motor running..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do a search on here for High preasure oil leaks. I think someone had a post on how to find the leak. Has your SCT fitting been replaced? And my truck acted the same at that milage. They changed the SCT fitting. It wasnt the problem. The problem was the o rings on the dummy plugs. They wear out and you loose the high oil preasure for start up.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Ok I agree with everybody else. You need to know your ipr readings and icp readings.
My first question is what is your icp while cranking? That will tell if you are getting enough pressure to start, it should be around 500 to 600. To check if you have a bad icp sensor just unplug and it should go to a default reading about 950ish. If it cranks easy the sensor is faulty. if the reading doesn't change you might have a wire problem.
The ipr reading will let you know the percentage of the opening of a valve the lower the number the better. If it is above 50% I'd say you have a high pressure oil leak.
You need some kind of monitor, hand held, scan gauge, or edge ct. If you have a programmer their should be some kind of live data monitor.
Anything else is just guessing. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
well on my truck looks like it has a Oil leak on the passanger side valve cover..you can hear the air pretty good coming out of the oil fill tube..

So my next question would be where's a good place to scorce for the parts..Just order them from Tousley Ford Parts Depot? Seam to have the best price.

I will be needing the dummy plugs and the stand pipes. What else is good insurance while im in there with everything apart??

Also **** Ford Of livermore CA :blahblah1: and there BS.:Shoot2:

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Since you there 6.4 banjo fittings and blue spring mod. All of those are pretty cheap.
I'm no pro but I think the valve cover cant cause that problem. I'm pretty sure the fuel rail is sealed, that is why the o ring on the stand pipe and dummy plug are so important. Saying that, if you pull your Stand pipes and dummy plugs you can see if you blew an o ring.
That is why I say you need some kind of monitor for your rig. If you knew the ipr % we could tell you for sure you have a high pressure oil leak.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
55 Posts
Darn i forgot to ask about the IPR % as the truck was on a IDS scanner.. It didnt have any codes or any weard things going on.

Also i should of word this a little different as they detecded a High Pressure Oil Leak inside the passanger valve cover..

Since all the Injectors are good would it be a good idea to replace all O-rings on the ijectors while im in there?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Whats so different between the two part numbers listed below besides the price on the stand pipes??

Stand pipe
6E7Z-9A332-A
OR
6E7Z-9A332-B is this the kit where i dont need W-302908?

Dummy plugs
W302908

STC Fitting
4C3Z-9B246-F

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Yeah I would pull the injectors clean them and put new o rings on. You while need a torq bit but I don't remember the size.
Check out you tube on removing injectors on 6.0. There is a really good master tech. On there and he will walk you through it.
Now part number 6e7z-9a332b comes with dummy tubes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts