Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few months the speedometer would go on and off the last few months but now it doesn’t function at all now, when the truck is off it’ll sit around 40 which is in the picture some days other days it’ll sit around 80 and it will move alittle bit while driving. I am thinking about replacing the speed sensor? The truck is running fine no abs light comes on or anything.

·
Registered
06 6.0 built to go fast
283 Posts
No replies in a month, I'll take a stab. I have dealt with similar issues on two trucks. If your mileage is tracking, it's prob not the abs/speed sensor or the abs controller. And usually a dead abs speed sensor or bad abs controller or associated witing causes the needle to sit at zero and your mileage doesn't move. Truck thinks it's sitting still. My 02 did this and it ended up being melted connector on the bottom of the abs module that burned up the module too. Water got in there and sat and melted the whole damn thing. Everything worked fine but it didn't show speed or track new mileage. Just showed last known mileage.

I'm betting it's a cluster issue as these trucks are known for. Specifically your issue (again if your mileage is tracking), it's probably the mechanism that drives the needle. It's like a little electro magnetic driven spring on the circuit board. Replace the cluster. If it's a solder contact on the board, replace the cluster. On my 06, most of my gauges would shut off and the mileage screen would go blank. I had some other issues too with radio and windows when everything died. I tried all the same stuff I did before to no avail. Took out the cluster out and inspected it and soft installed it. Plugs only no screws. I noted that if I pushed on certain spots everything would come alive. So I took it to a shop that fixes these. They said they found several cracked solder contacts but it broke again as soon as pulled out of their shop. Out $400. Then (like I should have done the first time) I ordered one from circuitboard medics and had a new upgraded cluster in a few days and sent mine back to them. Issues resolved.

·
Administrator
30,944 Posts
you can force some gauge sweeps ( google )
but I agree it is probably a bad stepper motor

funny story my speedo was reading 30 over one day and the needle was at 30 at rest
i drilled a hole in the cluster lens and reset the needle to the 0mph

that was ove 100k miles ago and I have even since replaced the cluster lens

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
updating this thread, it has gotten worse now where the whole cluster will not have power intermittently hitting the cluster works sometimes for the whole ride other times only for a few seconds. It is still tracking the mileage. So what do I do from here? Buy a whole new cluster? Can I buy any cluster? Or specific to xlt?

·
Registered
06 6.0 built to go fast
283 Posts
You are now where I was with my 06. Yep call circuitboard medics or look them up online. They will send you a new one, follow their return instructions and you'll get your core deposit back. Easy peazy.

·
Registered
06 6.0 built to go fast
283 Posts
You hold two of the three buttons and turn on the key. Then click through the menu.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts