Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
29,129 Posts
Ford is protecting the masses ( from what I do not know either)

reminds me how California is protecting everyone from everything

(tell that to the guy sliding down the ice hill and starting to jackknife but can't save his own bacon with the manual slide control )

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
if your pickup brakes can't stop 10k lbs at 10mph you should probably be looking at something in your brakes other than the TBC

or do some leg workouts to step on the brake pedal harder

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ford is protecting the masses ( from what I do not know either)

reminds me how California is protecting everyone from everything

(tell that to the guy sliding down the ice hill and starting to jackknife but can't save his own bacon with the manual slide control )
Funny that you mentioned that. I was just thinking about that last night. There is a place that we take our camper too that has a really steep gravel hill going down into the campground.......I always pucker up a little bit going down that hill.....knowing that if the camper starts to push the rear of the truck around (jack knife).....I'm pretty much screwed since I have no way to manually work the brakes on the trailer.

I can think of several scenarios where you might want to work the brakes manually while going slower than 15mph.......and where it could get really dangerous really fast if you couldn't.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
if your pickup brakes can't stop 10k lbs at 10mph you should probably be looking at something in your brakes other than the TBC

or do some leg workouts to step on the brake pedal harder
So if my truck starts sliding going down a steep gravel road and the camper is pushing my truck ....I just need to mash on the brakes harder?? You think that will straighten things out??

You haven't towed much weight before have you?

·
Administrator
21,555 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
yea I've towed 17k behind mine without trailer brakes, thanks

if you're that concerned about it drop to 4 low and let the engine do the braking or buy an aftermarket controller, which with the OEM I'm not sure how that would hook up

·
Administrator
29,129 Posts
I remember loosing my aftermarket brake controller function on a work truck towing about 10 k and a panic stop that never happened because that trailer pushed me all the way thru the intersection

that truck had ABS and it even gave up the pulsing motion and locked the brakes trying to slow down

that truck had perfect brakes

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yea I've towed 17k behind mine without trailer brakes, thanks

if you're that concerned about it drop to 4 low and let the engine do the braking or buy an aftermarket controller, which with the OEM I'm not sure how that would hook up
So when the truck is sliding down an icy, gravely, muddy hill and you have a 10,000lb trailer behind you pushing the truck......no amount of truck braking will help you, you need to actuate the trailer brakes to correct that situation......know what I mean?

·
Administrator
29,129 Posts
TEXAS
A trailer or pole trailer is required to have brakes if its gross weight exceeds 4,500 lbs. A trailer with a gross weight between 4,500 lbs. and 15,000 lbs. is not required to have brakes if it is towed at a speed of not more than 30 mph.
so you kept it under 30 smart ash ??

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
So when the truck is sliding down an icy, gravely, muddy hill and you have a 10,000lb trailer behind you pushing the truck......no amount of truck braking will help you, you need to actuate the trailer brakes to correct that situation......know what I mean?
no amount of brake force is going to help on ice

·
Registered
348 Posts
I agree, I like the factory TBC, especially already linked to the brake booster and brake lights (a circuit that I tied into that would cancel cruise control), but the minimum speed is annoying. My big thing is hill starts, my clutch has had some unnecessary wear when getting the trailer moving up an incline. I'm either having to slip the clutch before releasing the brake, or use the clutch to counter the roll. Neither of which are kind to a pressure plate.

Is it possible to add an aftermarket controller and still have the factory TBC operational?

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
trailer brakes applied no truck brakes applied have saved many a truck driver
at speed absolutely, campground I would just use low range, take advantage of the VGT in tow/haul

I've seen a plenty of smoked trailer brakes/truck brakes from campers coming off pikes peak after the hill climb, use of engine braking goes a long way as well

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
no amount of brake force is going to help on ice
....and on mud or gravel?

Are you trying to say there is no reason why you would ever need to use trailer brakes while going slower than 15mph? I can think of multiple situations where they could save your bacon.

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
....and on mud or gravel?

Are you trying to say there is no reason why you would ever need to use trailer brakes while going slower than 15mph? I can think of multiple situations where they could save your bacon.
below a certain mile an hour I believe my controller drops off as well, not 100% positive

depends on the mud/gravel

if you're falling on your azz walking down it, you're probably not gonna have much better luck with a truck/trailer unless there is hard pack underneath

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
below a certain mile an hour I believe my controller drops off as well, not 100% positive

depends on the mud/gravel

if you're falling on your azz walking down it, you're probably not gonna have much better luck with a truck/trailer unless there is hard pack underneath
Of course you are going to have better luck if the trailer has brakes on it to stop itself vs. relying on the truck to stop the trailer...... that's the whole point of having brakes on a trailer.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts