Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently bought a 05 6.0 with 120k miles and have no boost past 2.5k rpm

bare with me I am new to the community and may not fully understand everything just yet.

Previous owner deleted EGR

Things I’ve done to try to correct issue:
Smoke test for leaks intake and exhaust; no leaks found.
changed vgt and cleaned vane unsen ring is in good shape; no issues
Turbo spins freely; no issues
Changed EBP sensor, changed MAF sensor; no issues
Installed blue spring mod; no change

Another issue I’m thinking is my fuel gage is acting up but I’ve tested my cluster and everything is working. I’m leaning toward replacing my fuel pump and fuel lines.

yesterday night removed stock air filter and it finally gave signs of life by giving me boost until 2.5k then a bit of lag and boost after 3k rpm

today morning it’s back to being dead after 2.5k rpm.

i attached a picture of the current codes I have but they seem to be all soft codes

thanks in advance! Appreciate any input.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Agreed...check MAP, EBP, BARO KOEO - they should all be ~0.5 psi of each other. Also keep an eye on your VGT% when it acts up - make sure it's not hitting 15% or 85%. Wouldn't hurt to watch ICPv, ICP, and IPR%, FICM voltage as well.

And definitely check your fuel pressure!

-jokester

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the inputs everyone! but like always with my luck it ends up being the most simplest fix ever...
I needed a tune lmao. Truck runs perfectly fine pushing boost past 25psi after flashing with SCT.
Thing I don’t understand is why did the previous owner do an egr delete change the turbo and replace vgt and not tune it ? Beats me... I got a good deal because of that... unless there are other issues he hasn’t mentioned when I bough it haha.

· Premium Member
5,156 Posts
You never mentioned anything about the PO changing the turbo in your original post. You just said YOU pulled the turbo, cleaned it, and changed the VGT solenoid.

Bigger aftermarket turbos usually require some sort of a tune to get the most efficient use out of them. A lot of people don't understand that, so they get frustrated and think something's wrong with the turbo when they have a bunch of lag from this brand new shiny turbo that won't push their truck correctly. Truth is...it works just fine, but needs fine tuned (see what I did there... :D). That's where the tune comes in.

-jokester

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told by the PO that it was replaced but who knows how true that is, he might have just changed the intake portion of it since it looks like there are markings on the bolts.
Also it’s a stock turbo not an upgraded turbo.

· Premium Member
5,156 Posts
A stock turbo shouldn't need a tune to run good. You'll definitely feel more power in the seat of your pants with a tune, but it shouldn't have exhibited those symptoms you described. Plenty of folks out there running stock turbos without a tune and also without the symptoms you described...

-jokester

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I’ve also read around that I shouldn’t need a tune when an egr is deleted or any other thing in my case but for some reason a tune is what fixed it ? So I honestly have no idea what the issue was to begin with...
Possibly PO might have messed with the ECM or PCM in any way ?

· Registered
4,842 Posts
Yes I’ve also read around that I shouldn’t need a tune when an egr is deleted or any other thing in my case but for some reason a tune is what fixed it ? So I honestly have no idea what the issue was to begin with...
Possibly PO might have messed with the ECM or PCM in any way ?
If there’s truth to the no tune for deleted EGR, its probably in the earlier trucks That have never been reflashed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.