Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occurred to be that that Dana 60 on the Ex hasn’t changed too much over the years.

If I wanted to adopt new 2005+ 18” wheels for my Ex, rather than buy spacers, couldn’t I just swap the hubs, carriers, and brakes from a 2005+ truck onto the older axle?

The same thing goes for the Sterling in the back. I think I might just need the new bearings,hubs, and brakes.

Thoughts?

Except the steering knuckle, most of the rest of the parts will need to be replaced eventually anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
The reason for the 2" spacers is the 05+ axles are about 4" wider than the 99-04s. So even if you could swap all that stuff you would still need spacers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah -- that makes sense. It was trying to think of a way to use the newer axle, but keep the leaf springs. If the new axle is wider, then there's no point. Is there any 2005+ front axle variant that uses leaf springs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know -- leaf spring perches are easy enough to install. And, 05+ F250 front ends with 3.73's are all almost falling out of the trees. Same with the rear ends, and some of those have e-lockers.

One day, I might just try to cut that coil spring garbage from an 05+ front axle and put my own perches on there. I don't really want to run spacers because that messes with the scrub radius of the tires -- and that's rough on tires. I suppose for now I'll just run what I have -- there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why are you trying to keep leafs up front? I have a set of axles out of a 15 that are going under my 05 Ex. Axle width was one reason, increased turning radius from coils up front was another. There were other reasons...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There’s not much difference in ride quality between the leafs and coils as far as I can tell.

If I change over to coils, I have to fab and attach the frame reinforcement gussets that sit behind the engine cross member on the 05+ trucks. Those are required to prevent fatigue cracks and frame tearing at the area around the spring perch. Doable - but I think I’d have to take the body off and that’s a buttload of work.

Welding on the spring perches to an 05+ axle gives me the ease of keeping the leafs, and the benefits of the decreased turning radius, bugger brakes, and wheel offset of the new style axles.

·
Administrator
32,706 Posts
there’s not much difference in ride quality between the leafs and coils as far as I can tell
that's not what most folks who moved to a coil from a leaf setup say and improved turning radius

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's not what most folks who moved to a coil from a leaf setup say and improved turning radius
Just my experience. If there's a difference, I can't really tell.

I get it -- there should be because of interleaf fiction and what not, but I can't feel it in the seat of my pants -- or at least not enough to justify the work. But -- maybe it'll be worth it if I can figure out the gusset problem.

I want my frame to survive more than just trips to the grocery store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts