Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my truck back from the shop for a hot start issue that still has yet to be resolved. But they kinda threw this back together like ****. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new wiring harness now because it's getting tattered and just looks like crap in general. What do these 2 plugs go to? I'm assuming the one to the left of the oil filter is for the EGR but the other one behind the fuel filter is unplugged. I could just plug it back in but what does it do?

Also are there any good sources to get an engine harness? I have a issue that is draining my battery if the truck sits for a few days so im looking for new or as close to new as possible. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Yes, first pic looks like the EGR valve connector. Not sure about 2nd connector...IAT2 sensor connector?? @Hydro @bismic @nighthawk285

The thing that stands out to me is that you have an aftermarket oil filter cap and possibly a motorcraft filter inside, which can lead to no start, hard start, oil not being filtered correctly, and other conditions. First things first - get an OEM cap AND OEM oil filter and get that installed ASAP.

Do you take a lot of short trips? Are you actually driving the truck long enough to recharge the battery?

-jokester

·
Super Moderator
12,752 Posts
Agreed, judging by location and color of the plug, that's the IAT2 sensor. Yes the first one is the EGR connector. You'll have to remove the black intake tube to the turbo to re-route and plug it back in. It measures the temperature of the air inside the intake. Probably setting off a soft code in the computer too, so after you get it plugged back in, go ahead and clear any codes so you don't end up worrying about that one later.
@fordsvtparts is a good source for new OEM (~$450 IIRC), otherwise you might check out a local salvage yard and see if you can find one in better shape (~$20-150 depending on the yard). Orrr....just go through it yourself and re-loom it (~$50-75 and your time).

What's it doing when trying to hot start?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As to a reply to the aftermarket oil cap I made sure when I gave it an oil change that I bought a fomoco cap and filter.. I've just been following the rabbit hole atm.. icp, ipr, stc, hpop, stand pipes, dummy plugs, branch tube, orings, all been replaced. Top of the motor has been apart 6 times as it sits right now. And still a hot start issue. Took it to a shop that went through it and still couldnt fix it, they put a bunch of parts in it and gave it back and said "you can just come get it since we cant fix it" $0 paid

It's just crank no start, I can run it until 164 degrees and turn it off and it will start but as soon as it passes 164 I can just sit there and crank and it wont start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, first pic looks like the EGR valve connector. Not sure about 2nd connector...IAT2 sensor connector?? @Hydro @bismic @nighthawk285

The thing that stands out to me is that you have an aftermarket oil filter cap and possibly a motorcraft filter inside, which can lead to no start, hard start, oil not being filtered correctly, and other conditions. First things first - get an OEM cap AND OEM oil filter and get that installed ASAP.

Do you take a lot of short trips? Are you actually driving the truck long enough to recharge the battery?

-jokester

I dont have any short codes throwing.. but looking at it now the ca does say "do not reuse" which is weird considering it was a fomoco cap that I bought from the dealer....................

·
Super Moderator
12,752 Posts
As to a reply to the aftermarket oil cap I made sure when I gave it an oil change that I bought a fomoco cap and filter.. I've just been following the rabbit hole atm.. icp, ipr, stc, hpop, stand pipes, dummy plugs, branch tube, orings, all been replaced. Top of the motor has been apart 6 times as it sits right now. And still a hot start issue. Took it to a shop that went through it and still couldnt fix it, they put a bunch of parts in it and gave it back and said "you can just come get it since we cant fix it" $0 paid

It's just crank no start, I can run it until 164 degrees and turn it off and it will start but as soon as it passes 164 I can just sit there and crank and it wont start.
Have you done an air test? What kind of ICP DO you build? Or just throwing parts at it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only thing I havent done yet is an air test but I would think the reputable fleet shop I took my truck to should be smart enough to do one and replace the faulty parts.. dont know what else it could be unless a part they put in had something fail already.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Only thing I havent done yet is an air test but I would think the reputable fleet shop I took my truck to should be smart enough to do one and replace the faulty parts..
Don't bet on that...

Well, the one good thing is you didn't pay anything for their inability to fix it :D

-jokester

1 - 9 of 9 Posts