Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 2 weeks my truck had been getting harder and harder to start. It used to start no matter the weather within 2 cranks. It slowly started getting worse 3 cranks, 4, 5, then 10 full rotations, stop and start again. And it would fire. Walked out this morning and it cranked until the batteries died.. Anyone have a clue what this could be. Thanks

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Sounds like a leak in the hpo somewhere. Just went through this last month. Stand pipe was leaking like crazy. I took the turbo off to investigate, but you can do the pressure test without going through all that.
Take the ficm and degass bottle off, that gives you access to the ipr valve. You'll need an ipr socket and air pressure adapter. You'll also want an ipr seal kit.
With the air pressure adapter, you'll have to build out the rest of the attachment using standard air compressor parts.
Install the adapter and pressurize the system, listen for leaks. Use a piece of tube (I used a long transmission type funnel) to focus where you are listening. If it's leaking, it should be fairly obvious. In my case, the driver side stand pipe was leaking. I could see the air coming from the turbo drain. If you hear a leak under the valve cover, remove it and redo the pressure test, this will confirm its the pipe/plug and not an injector seal.
Like I said, I took the turbo off, I am glad I did. I found a broken up pipe and a minor oil leak somewhere else. Went ahead and replaced the oil cooler and resealed the upper side.
I can now remove and reinstall the turbo in a couple hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.