Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 F-350 6.0 liter diesel crew cab. I've started to notice steering problems recently (66K miles) which happens intermittently. Almost feels like very low tire pressure, loss of power steering, pops to left and to right when trying to drive straight. This has happened 3 times in the last week and will go away after a few minutes. Steering fluid is full. Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
2 Grand for ball joints, wow. I just replaced mine myself two weeks ago, took like maybe 2 hours. Mine was making a poping noise over bumps and would sometimes feel like the power steering wasnt working. Now its fine. I 2nd the ball joints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 Grand for ball joints, wow. I just replaced mine myself two weeks ago, took like maybe 2 hours. Mine was making a poping noise over bumps and would sometimes feel like the power steering wasnt working. Now its fine. I 2nd the ball joints.
Thank You for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would disconnect the outer tie rods and move each wheel to verify that the ball joints are binding.If they are I would replace them with a quality replacement with grease fittings.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
You can also test them by jacking up the front of the truck and put a pry bar under the front tires and pull up and down. This will tell you if there is up and down slack, then while it is up you can shift the tire side to side to see if they are loose. It also helps to have some one under the truck to watch the movement of the joints.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts