Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.
A couple months ago, I did an oil cooler swap. The truck has been running great and I have taken it on a number of longer trips (1.5 hrs) and a lot of town driving with no issues. My deltas are good and haven't seen anything higher than a delta of 7.

My son has been driving my truck lately to his landscaping job. Yesterday he called from the side of the road to report the truck shutdown on him and there was a start/no fire situation. I had the truck flatbedded home and pulled the following codes:

P0266
P0460
P115A
P2290 - ICP too low

My initial research points to IPR valve, so I ordered an IPR valve socket tool. Once I receive it, I will pull the IPR valve and check it. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks
Nick

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,257 Posts
P115A means there is a (perceived) low fuel level. I would start there, it will cause a "defuel" at a minimum.

Maybe you just have a bad fuel level sensor (reason for P0460 most likely), but maybe there is a real low level, or a broken pick-up tube.

I would also highly advise getting a fuel pressure sensor and gauge.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. I forgot to mention that I have an issue with the sending unit at the tank and that would occasionally throw a code and the fuel gauge would go to empty. It would eventually reset itself. I have never seen the P115A code before.

The only other fuel-related item is that I changed both fuel filters after I did the oil cooler swap.

·
6,257 Posts
You have a contribution code for an injector (#2), so something (like low fuel pressure or possibly air in the fuel) might be the source for that problem. You might try removing the upper fuel filter, remove an fuel that is in the housing, and then turn the key on and look for bubbles.

Also, get the cranking data for the high pressure oil system .....
ICP volts
ICP pressure
IPR % duty cycle

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark. Would a monitor like the CTS2 have that data available?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Thanks Mark. Would a monitor like the CTS2 have that data available?
CTS2 won't monitor fuel pressure or EGT's, as an aftermarket gauge is needed for those, however, it will monitor IPR%, ICPv, ICP, etc.

-jokester

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jokester. Is there another name for IPR%?

Here is what I have for the others when trying to start the engine this morning:

ICP V = 0.3
ICP psi = 36

I kept the key on until I got the highest value on ICP psi. Can someone help make sense of this reading?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Thanks Jokester. Is there another name for IPR%?

Here is what I have for the others when trying to start the engine this morning:

ICP V = 0.3
ICP psi = 36

I kept the key on until I got the highest value on ICP psi. Can someone help make sense of this reading?
ICPv KOEO should be ~.21-.24v. Yours is a bit high but with your ICP reading 36, that's probably not an issue. What are your cranking values? As for the IPR, I've heard it called Injection Control Pressure Duty Cycle or something like that, but on a CTS/CTS2, it's called Injector/Injection Pressure Regulator.

-jokester

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great. Thanks. Tried again and got the additional IPR number of 85%:

·
6,257 Posts
In addition to the issue in the high pressure oil system, the battery voltage is way too low.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm probably due for batteries on this truck. What are your thoughts about the IPR number?

·
6,257 Posts
That is what I meant when I posted that you probably had an issue in the high-pressure oil system. Likely to be a leak, which would require an air test. Best to test through the IPR valve port with the special IPR test fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I'm probably due for batteries on this truck. What are your thoughts about the IPR number?
Yup - definitely need some batteries. If it's been longer than 7 years, just buy new ones and put it to bed. @bismic knows the number for sure, but I think your cranking RPM has to be >150 to spin the engine fast enough for starting. However, that's only 1 of your issues :D

Your IPR% is maxing out ( working range is between 15%-85%). The ICP and IPR work in conjunction with each other. ICP sensor feeds back real-time information on rail pressure and the IPR (commanded value only - no feedback) will adjust positions to try and compensate for the ICP reading, depending upon what the engine demand is. What this means is that your ICP is low, the engine needs more, and the IPR is trying to adjust positions to increase the ICP. Eventually, once it gets enough ICP, the truck will start or max out - like yours has.

For a quick test to see if it's the ICP sensor or pigtail that could be causing your no-start, unplug your ICP sensor. The truck will default on the HPO pressure and will start if this is truly your issue. If not, you have to dig deeper.

-jokester

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help as I'm a rookie. Just to clarify the numbers I have posted so far were taken while I was cranking the engine. with key on, battery is still 10.6, but ICP voltage is .2 and IPR is 14%.

·
6,257 Posts
That is low voltage for just having the key on (ie without cranking), Low voltage will kill a FICM.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Thanks for the help as I'm a rookie. Just to clarify the numbers I have posted so far were taken while I was cranking the engine. with key on, battery is still 10.6, but ICP voltage is .2 and IPR is 14%.
Those values look normal KOEO (minus the battery V - should be closer to 11.5-12v KOEO when the glow plugs are heating up). See thread below for troubleshooting tips and sensor values. And get those batteries replaced. Good system voltage is a big part of a properly running 6.0.

-jokester

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jokester - do I have to take off the FICM to get to the ICP sensor and unplug it to do the test you suggested?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Not if you have an '05 like you said. Should be on the passenger's side valve cover, right underneath the charge air cooler tube (metal tube coming off the left side of the turbo). But beware...with only 120 RPM cranking speed, even if the ICP sensor/pigtail is your issue, your truck might not start because of that and low system voltage - hence why I talked about getting new batteries.

-jokester

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I will pickup batteries tomorrow morning and install and go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Must be greater than 150 rpm before the injectors will fire -- you can crank all day with less and the engine will not fire up

1 - 20 of 50 Posts