Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few months, I've had an issue where I will receive DTCs for the fuel sending unit. When it happens, the fuel gauge drops to empty. It eventually resets itself.

My understanding is the sending unit is on top of the tanks. Can someone tell me if you have to drop the gas tank to replace that sending unit?
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't see the bottom of the pic showing your truck. Were you able to just get under and get to it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question - How hard is it to remove the sending unit if you do you don't have the trim ring remover to get it off? I did a quick check at freedomracing.com and price for that tool is approx $300.
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
239 Posts
Question - How hard is it to remove the sending unit if you do you don't have the trim ring remover to get it off? I did a quick check at freedomracing.com and price for that tool is approx $300.
Thanks
Nick
Not sure what u mean by special tool for the trim ring. All you need is a hammer and screw driver to spin it. The only special tools required are for the fuel line quick disconnects

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bad. I thought I read somewhere there was a special tool needed for that. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There are tools for doing that, I made up one for our Lincoln which has two locations, and its easier. However, I've opened Superduty tanks at least a half dozen times and used a block of wood, not a screwdriver, just so the impact would be spread over the tabs easier. They can be easily tapped off. Since using a tapping method, I would recommend marking the cap and tank so when you put it back together you can tighten to the index to make sure it's tight. They get messy when they leak.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. Nice idea about marking the cap. I'm going to order the part. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts