Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
She popped her cork?
there is about 60 pounds of actual force on that plug - so it would take more than that to keep it in place

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Wouldn't hurt anything, if you have the 272 or the green bearing mount stuff

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So i was actually able to use a bore scope camera to feed down the back of the engine yesterday and i found the plug that popped out sitting on the block!!!! I pulled it out with a magnet and drove down to a ford dealer to get the right plug (16mm) from what i was told. I installed that one and got it to seat below the block. It sounded like it snapped in when I was using that press tool i made with the vise grips. I put a small threaded plug on the end of the vise grips to press it past the block.

It started right away and idled till it got hot. So I shut everything off and finished putting the rest of the engine back together. I let it cycle the coolant and everything seemed alright. I drove it around for a few minutes, maybe a mile total and a warning came up on the dash that I had low oil pressure. I put the truck in park and shut it off immediately. I pulled out Torque Pro and scanned for codes. These are what I got.
C1284
P0284

I towed it back to where I was working on it and can't get it to start again!!!!!! Im pretty sure the plug has popped out again and I'm in the same boat....looks like I'll be taking everything apart again. I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or could verify that I'm using the right plug or give me pointers on installing it so it won't pop back out. (Ford 3C3Z-6026-CA)

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
There is a taper edge on the hole where the plug inserts, you have to seat the plug below the taper part into the straight part of the bore, so the edge of the plug cab bite into the material
the plug is slightly tapered so it will start easily as well as the bore -- the trailing edge of the plug is where the grip is strongest
also the plug has to be pushed straight into the bore so as to not damage the edge

Reactions: nighthawk285

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
So I've gone about 250 miles on the new engine! I'll post a picture of idle Torque Pro readings. I seem to still have cylinder 8 contribution code coming up and the idle feels a little slack. I also believe I have something going on with the turbo. I seem to only build about 5psi when accelerating of turbo psi. When I let off the gas it goes back to 0 but won't ever go past 5 psi. I've changed the y pipe because I had an exhaust leak back there but don't anymore. Can anyone give advice on what might be going on with the turbo?

Attachments

81 - 87 of 87 Posts