Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, looks like I have come to a crossroads here. I removed the HPOP, plugged the hole on the HPOP side that has the yellow o ring feeding the HPOP and poured oil into the reservoir. It sucked about 1 quart out of it and nothing came out of the other side. Could there be ANY other place this oil could be going besides a crack in the block?????

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
I see you've been all over the forum with this topic and you posted this one in general not the 6.0 section.

So lets start off bringing everyone together and all the posts to one spot:

@nighthawk285 @jkingiii @waggonerj

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Is there a core plug on the back side of the port where the hpop connects?
I dont have any materials that show the details of the oil passage from the reservoir to the hpop connection

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
I went back to the start, and from what I can tell you threw a LOT of parts at this truck and at no point did you have the base pressure to start. Having the IPR maxed at 85% just shows you have a leak.

Now rather than following the steps using shop air to find the leak we are down a path about injectors.

I would regroup, assemble the truck and try to make base pressure, if it fails and you see good FICM Vs and 85% ICP then you have a leak.

We know a truck will run on bad injectors, so once it starts you can diag injectors

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts
Just read through this conglomeration and I'd have to agree.

Given how far deep you went with crankshaft/rods and such, was anything done with the oil pickup tube? O ring checked? I also didn't read anywhere that the LPO pressure regulator on the front cover was checked...that could be stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Just read through this conglomeration and I'd have to agree.

Given how far deep you went with crankshaft/rods and such, was anything done with the oil pickup tube? O ring checked? I also didn't read anywhere that the LPO pressure regulator on the front cover was checked...that could be stuck.
The hpop reservoir is draining oil - empty
OP says he put in a quart and plugged the hpop suction port and the oil disappeared
I am thinking there must be a core plug in the rear of the passage to the hpop that is not in there

Reactions: nighthawk285

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Is there a core plug on the back side of the port where the hpop connects?
I dont have any materials that show the details of the oil passage from the reservoir to the hpop connection
So this seems to be my problem!!! The shop that bored and honed my block had taken all the plugs out and replaced them EXCEPT this one lol. Finally took a small camera through the port to see it, and its missing. This is where all my oil has been going!!!!! I'm on the phone with Ford to try and find a replacement but they can't seem to figure out what I'm talking about. Anyone have a part number?

Also maybe some advice on how to hammer it in when its behind the block without pulling the motor? 🤔

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
YAY, got to the root of one of the problems
Should be a metric cup style plug, possibly can get one at the parts store, but measure the hole first

Options are to remove the back cover on the engine or make a jig to press the new plug in place
I would make a jig, you have the pump mounting holes to fasten the "tool" in place
then could pry or use a bolt to push the core plug into position

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts
Hydro, now I'm tracking with what that was about. Been on/off trying to piece this all together throughout the day.

Scott I have a spare block at home too that I can take a look at for you and send a picture of what it looked like prior if they can't get a P/N.....

But while they're looking there for you, @voodooridr and @fordsvtparts are some of our other local dealer guys that may be able to chime in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Appreciate the help everyone.

Nighthawk285, I finally found one in town that wasn't part of the Ford kit but was the same size from what I measured. Thanks for the offer though!

Since this was a plug installation with the block in place I couldn't hammer it in as usual and didn't have space for much, so I attached some pictures of a little tool modification to help me squeeze it in! Hope this will help anyone in the future that needs to install a plug in same spot i did.

Hydro you were a bunch of help!!!! Thanks for all the knowledge, I dont feel too bad that I did all that work to the truck when it was just a plug because I found that some oil rail seals were going bad and 2 of my injectors were failing, along with all the o rings on ALL the injectors lol. Ill definitely post a video when I get everything put back together of it running!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Good job on coming up with a solution to install the plug -- you need to place the plug just a little below flush to engage the outer rim edge -- that is what keeps those types of plugs in place

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
It lives!!!!! So it started on just the 2nd crank. Although, it only ran for about 8 seconds then died with a bunch of white smoke out the y pipes. Keep in mind I don't have the y pipes, exhaust, intake, intercooler lines or any coolant in the engine. Im assuming it died because of this?? Maybe??

Anyway I'm going to continue putting everything together tomorrow and see if having it all put together will keep it running.

Torque Pro HPOP (ICP) sensor slowly built to 150 psi on first long crank. Then second crank jumped to 1,200 PSI. Truck didn't idle long enough for me to see the pressure gauge on the dash go up but one can only assume it did because it idled for a few secs. Should I be concerned with it stalling out considering I have those items disconnected?

One more thing, the plug i put in wasnt nessesarily the correct one meaning it was a little longer than the ones taken off so it does not seat below the edge but kind of pops out JUST a tad. The thing is very tightly jammed in there. Think ill be OK?

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts
Awesome!

The LPO system is regulated at 75psi...you put the plug in...think it'll hold?

Does the truck re-start? It'll run without those things...not optimally, but itll run. When I got this last one running it didnt even have an intake manifold on it yet lol.

What'd the smoke smell like?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I feel pretty good about the plug, calipers showed it 2 thousands of an inch bigger than the original. Not only did I need to use the ratchet on the vise grips but I had to put a pry bar behind it to help nudge it in. Seems like a much tighter fit than it should be lol.

The truck re starts after about a 5-6 second crank, didn't seem to idle rough based on what I felt standing on the running boards looking over the door into the engine. I couldn't hear it because the exhaust was so loud. The smoke smelled like burned oil but I had just assumed it was the oil I used to lubricate the pistons when I installed them. I wonder if something else is at play with stalling out now

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
The engine will run without any of that stuff on it, tho if the exhaust was sucking back into the intake it may smother the engine out

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Could've been getting sucked back in, that would make sense. One thing I should note. I dumped about 6 quarts of oil out before starting it. I had put so much extra oil in it testing for leaks that it was WAY too full. I didnt get it down to level and the dipstick was still reading max. I cant imagine I have another extra 6 quarts in it. Although, if I do. Could too much oil cause the LPOP regulator to be kicked back startving the HPOP to stall? Or am I thinking about it too much?

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Too much oil would have no effect other that possibly blowing out of the crankcase vent
just drain the oil out and put back the 15 quarts, keep the rest for later if you need it
use a clean bucket

Reactions: nighthawk285

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Well, looks like i messed up pretty good. The plug popped out and is hopefully in the pan. Does anyone know the exact size that's supposed to be in there? Or a parts kit # I can give to someone to order it?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts