Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon guys, I've have a 2005 F250 6.0L Powerstroke. This truck has given me a headache. I'm only getting around 350psi cranking while hot and ICP is in specc. I did head gaskets about a year ago, truck ran and drove perfectly fine, customer took it and a couple days later it stalled on him while driving a couple times. He brought hit back to me, so I started off with injector o-rings and oil rail o-rings. I did find pinched o-rings on the oil rail and thought I had found the problem, but I didn't. I changed ICP and IPR with new ones and nothing, still had a CRANK, NO START HOT. Then, I moved onto replacing oil and filter with right size cap, nothing. I then replaced HPOP, stand pipes and dummy plugs, and LPOP with a new cover, NOTHING! I'm at a point right now I am beyond stumped!! Any ideas or other suggestions?? I have checked pressure with a manual gauge on the low side while hot and it gets about 7-9psi while hot cranking and while idling it is 30psi. I did check high side while hot and its still only getting 350psi and while idling it has around 550psi.

·
Registered
2003 F350 4 door, soon to be 4.5 door...maybe
66 Posts
Need to air test. Did you replace the top seals in the injectors? They're held in by circlips, often overlooked. But if I were in your shoes, I'd pull the valve covers and the hpop cover too, then air test.

If the system holds air, check the oil pressure regulator, if you hadn't done so already. It's not uncommon to find a needle bearing from a lifter jammed up in there (amongst other places).

Sometimes, had to pack lpop with assembly lube to build up enough of a prime to start.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also, test through the ipr port, I've done both ways and that way seems to produce consistant results. Let it hold pressure for some time, takes a bit to force the oil out and really show the leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, test through the ipr port, I've done both ways and that way seems to produce consistant results. Let it hold pressure for some time, takes a bit to force the oil out and really show the leak.
Thank you for the information. I have already done all that. I did air test every single time I replaced o-rings. Yes, I did replace the top o-rings on the injectors. the LPOP didnt have a problem picking up oil because its up and running right now. So by doing all the work it has gotten better but still has the CRANK NO START, HOT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need to air test. Did you replace the top seals in the injectors? They're held in by circlips, often overlooked. But if I were in your shoes, I'd pull the valve covers and the hpop cover too, then air test.

If the system holds air, check the oil pressure regulator, if you hadn't done so already. It's not uncommon to find a needle bearing from a lifter jammed up in there (amongst other places).

Sometimes, had to pack lpop with assembly lube to build up enough of a prime to start.
Did air test everytime I replaced components. I swapped out IPR with a new one

·
Registered
66 Posts
I feel for ya buddy, that's a real head scratcher. You said you replaced the hpop, and you don't seem like rookie. Now I'm genuinely curious. Were the hpop and ipr from ford?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir all the part up above are new. Nope not new to the 6.0's thats why I decided to come on here and ask because I need a new set of brains and eyes. Yes, all parts above are from ford.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok. I used to wrench for a living, used to work alot in these I love em... I could start to see we were speaking the same language lol. So, it will start.... how long does it run for ? Or will it run indefinitely until you shut it off? I got 2 crazy theories, both born from experience. Theory the first, if you have a welder, borrow its inert welding gas and WITH THE APPROPRIATE HOSE, :LOL:, pressurize the system to 350-400psi. Is it possible to test hot? Theory the second, you got a bad hpop outta the box. Rare, but happens. Have you energized the IPR to make sure it's still doing its thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will run fine until turned off, then it won't start. CRANK, NO START HOT. Would you be able to pressurize it while it is hot?? Yes, I have I can command it off and on with my scan tool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok, get it good and hot....as hot as you can, then quickly put air to it. I've had some real pita leaks that would only show when hot so the only way to find them was when hot, in conjunction with the argon @350psi then upped if nothing shows. After it gets up to operating temp, and you rev is as high as it will allow (I believe 3-3500rpm) what's the oil pressure at then? What's the ipr ? No load, hot, rev to 3500

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, get it good and hot....as hot as you can, then quickly put air to it. I've had some real pita leaks that would only show when hot so the only way to find them was when hot, in conjunction with the argon @350psi then upped if nothing shows. After it gets up to operating temp, and you rev is as high as it will allow (I believe 3-3500rpm) what's the oil pressure at then? What's the ipr ? No load, hot, rev to 3500
Oil pressure is at around 2000psi if I remember correcty and IPR is 85%

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,919 Posts
So no mention of the HPOP discharge fitting. I assume you replaced that STC fitting with the one-piece fitting and jam nut design when the HPOP was replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Oil doesn't have fuel in it making it too thin, right?

-jokester

Reactions: ManBearDad

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oil doesn't have fuel in it making it too thin, right?

-jokester
Good theory, dilution would make it much less viscous under heat/pressure...allowing it to escape through a very small leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts