Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone!

I rebuild my 6.0 recently and had the block bored out to .30 over. When I gave the shop the block I accidentally left the crank position sensor on the block.

Long story short is ive got over $5k into the engine now on new parts and trying to diagnose why my truck won't start after rebuild. I JUST now realized the sensor was never taken off and I've spent 2 weeks trying to get it to start. I've gone through 4 starters and 2 batteries lol.

I'll stop crying now and ask the question. Could that crank sensor for one, get damaged when hit with water? (The shop obviously washed the block after they bored and honed it) and two, could the crank sensor being bad cause me to not build hpop pressure or communication with the FICM?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to post this as well. My scanner was telling me

CMP & CKP synchronization "NO" while cranking but "YES" when KOEO

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
What are you using for a scanner?
Sync should read 0 or NO for cam-crank and ficm at key on
Have you done an air test on the high pressure system to verify no leaks?

Yeah, a high pressure washer can inject water thru the plug of a sensor
No, the crank sensor would have nothing todo with injection pressure(hpop)
Communication with the ficm could be a plug not seated on the ficm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was using a cheap ol scanner from a friend. I should have a better scanner Thursday or Friday though. Although, I am 100% certain it was showing sync with key on and non sync while cranking. I read somewhere else this could mean a FICM issue. I have not checked for leaks yet, i ordered the fittings on Amazon so I can plug into the icp or ipr to pressurize the rails.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
ForScan for testing is my goto software, free for PC and like 3.99 for android
and Torque Pro for a monitor
you will need a obd adapter to use it, the BAFX or OBDLink MX+ are good ones

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Start out with ForScan, pc if you have a laptop or the phone/tablet version
it is better for troubleshooting - you do not need the license to use it

I have both of those adapters I mentioned -- they both work, but the MX is about half as long as the BAFX
I have to be careful not to kick it with my foot
I did buy a angled splitter cable off amazon, so I can use the Livewire and Forscan or Torque at the same time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts