Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my stock 2005 6.0 with 83500miles hesitate when I stomp on the fuel to pass?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Because the turbo needs exaust pressure to spool.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Roll into the throttle instead of stomping it and it will go a lot better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do I get that exhaust pressure?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Thats turbo lag my friend...

It's completely normal. Turbo lag is the time required to change power output in response to a throttle change, noticed as a hesitation or slowed throttle response when accelerating from idle as compared to a naturally aspirated engine. This is due to the time needed for the exhaust system and turbocharger to generate the required boost. Inertia, friction, and compressor load are the primary contributors to turbo lag.

The 6.0s lag really isn't all that bad. Drive a 7.3 or a cummins and you'll experience some real lag. As for making it a bit better off the line I would get a FICM Tune. Look on FICMRepair.com and it explains it all really well. A 4" free flowing exhaust will eliminate any back pressure and also help a little. Custom tuning can change some parameters and help as well.

Do a little more reading on here and you'll find a wealth of knowledge on the subject. If you really wan to take off the line try practicing a brake stand. It's not exactly good for your drivetrain but the truck will take off a lot faster. Or if your desperate for a super quick jump off the line try a boosted 4x4 launch. On a tuned truck you'll be thrown back into your seat! The truck will take off like a bullet.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, the lag mostly occurs when I'm traveling highway speed and try to pass. I'm not trying to take off from the line, just pass as quickly as possible. Any additional thoughts?

Thanks again........

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Do you have a monitor? If not you need to invest in one. Your unison ring could very well be sticking. You may need a good turbo cleaning.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts