Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem, but different. I get the TBC Fault and it blows the fuse to the brake lights. Going slow it wont blow. But at higher speeds (45+)and a good application of brakes....there she blows and TBC Fault rides again.
Any advice?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like a short to me somewhere in-line... The way I deduced it (and I'm no expert!!!) is the higher speed/more force on brake pedal causes higher voltage signal to go to the trailer brakes. Maybe there is a wire somewhere that has slightly stripped insulation or is crimped?! Sorry I couldn't help more, I literally traced every wire and relay checking them out before I gave up. Reloading the came from factory settings fixed mine but yours sounds more like a wiring or module problem. You could check the wiring/relays with multimeter while someone presses the pedal hard to see if you can find it. (Not sure if that'll work or not but my best guess)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I should have said no trailer attached.
I was thinking back in the day we had pendulums in our TBC that increased voltage. Is that an electronic function now? Also do you know if the are separate wires to the brake lights on the truck versus the trailer and/or the electric trailer brakes ? Colors? Also when you say trace the wires do you mean by eye and did you pull them out of the loom? or was that with a meter somehow?
I looked them over and pulled the two trailer plugs out and cleaned them per these forums.
Will Ford dealer normally charge a brother to identify the fault?
I should also add that I just attained this monster from an online auction and the Bro before had put a 30 amp fuse in the brake-light slot that is supposed to be a 20 amp...so not a new problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK... So The cleaning the plugs and wiggling the wires has worked...No blows today under varied city and freeway speeds.

Crossing fingers and riding high for another day. :/

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good! Well if it starts to happen again you know you need to start tracing the individual wires to see if one has a loose connection, has been pinched, missing sheath, etc. Wiggling them and making the issue go away could even be a problem with one of the plastic plug connectors.

And yeah i did mine all with multimeter. I'd have to pull my notes out again to see colors of wires and whatnot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK guys, so i have had the dreaded TBC Fault every time i crank my truck for nearly a year. I feel like i have read every thread on the subject and checked everything that was mentioned to no avail! I was able to pick up an app (Car Gauge Pro) and a blue tooth connector..with these i pulled a B1342 which basically says the TBC module itself is bad. I checked on a new one which was in the $300 range (uh...no). SO, i looked into having mine repaired...in the $100 range (which i considered). I was reading after one of the guys on ebay that does the repairs and he commented that this was such a common problem on our truck (05-07) that he had repaired over 1200 units. So, i thought...if 1200 of these things can be repaired and include a lifetime warranty then there couldn't be much to it! I then thought about how i had fixed the l.e.d. in my old 03 trucks passenger air bag switch. I also thought about how i had repaired my wife's overhead console in the Excursion. Then i thought how i would have to pull the TBC in order to mail it out. I decided i would tear into it and see if the problem was obvious and it was! I had a broken solder joint on one of the legs for the manual slide control. Resoldered that joint and the fault code is gone. Now then, all im saying is...if you have to pull yours to send it off anyway...and if you have any electronics skills at all, it might be worth pulling the cover and have a look see. Not that i'm trying to knock anyone out of making a living but if your family operates like mine, then "a penny saved is a penny earned" really is an important saying. I did make a video of the repair which is uploading to you-tube now. As soon as it is available, i will post a link back here. Good luck fixing your TBC!

Thank you So much for sharing this, it worked perfectly on my 2005, and was easy and straightforward fix with an $8.00 hobby lobby soldering iron.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So glad people are able to get some help with this!! Wish everything on our trucks was this easy to handle!

Reactions: ZMANN
21 - 28 of 28 Posts