Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys, so i have had the dreaded TBC Fault every time i crank my truck for nearly a year. I feel like i have read every thread on the subject and checked everything that was mentioned to no avail! I was able to pick up an app (Car Gauge Pro) and a blue tooth connector..with these i pulled a B1342 which basically says the TBC module itself is bad. I checked on a new one which was in the $300 range (uh...no). SO, i looked into having mine repaired...in the $100 range (which i considered). I was reading after one of the guys on ebay that does the repairs and he commented that this was such a common problem on our truck (05-07) that he had repaired over 1200 units. So, i thought...if 1200 of these things can be repaired and include a lifetime warranty then there couldn't be much to it! I then thought about how i had fixed the l.e.d. in my old 03 trucks passenger air bag switch. I also thought about how i had repaired my wife's overhead console in the Excursion. Then i thought how i would have to pull the TBC in order to mail it out. I decided i would tear into it and see if the problem was obvious and it was! I had a broken solder joint on one of the legs for the manual slide control. Resoldered that joint and the fault code is gone. Now then, all im saying is...if you have to pull yours to send it off anyway...and if you have any electronics skills at all, it might be worth pulling the cover and have a look see. Not that i'm trying to knock anyone out of making a living but if your family operates like mine, then "a penny saved is a penny earned" really is an important saying. I did make a video of the repair which is uploading to you-tube now. As soon as it is available, i will post a link back here. Good luck fixing your TBC!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Heres the link to the video...
I appreciate all the help i have received from the ORG. so hopefully this will help someone else out and in some small way contribute back from all i have gotten! Thanks guys...and if your dealing with this issue...GOOD LUCK!!

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Thanks Jeremy, 100 bucks is 100 bucks and that is almost two tanks of fuel, where I live.
Doug

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is awesome my friend! I checked everything in line also and thanks to your video I'm going to tear into the module itself to see if I can find this. Did you just hit it with a hot soldering iron for a second to reconnect the joint? I've checked the connectors for corrosion, wiring even through the frame, and nada fixed it. As soon as I get a minute I'll check mine out and post back!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jeremy, 100 bucks is 100 bucks and that is almost two tanks of fuel, where I live.
Doug
AGREED! Honestly, there wasn't much to it...i think most anyone with the torx bit and a soldering iron could fix it right up. Even if you had to buy the tools you would save big money! Anyway, i'd be glad to help anyone out with this if i can.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is awesome my friend! I checked everything in line also and thanks to your video I'm going to tear into the module itself to see if I can find this. Did you just hit it with a hot soldering iron for a second to reconnect the joint? I've checked the connectors for corrosion, wiring even through the frame, and nada fixed it. As soon as I get a minute I'll check mine out and post back!
I tried to just reflow the solder but it didn't look right so i basically removed their solder and put new in its place. If i were you, i would try reflowing it first. Please post back if you find the bad solder joint to be in the same place as mine...i say that because i'm thinking this is the issue on most of them. Also, keep in mind the exact issues i was having..."TBC Fault" in the message center on every start up, The code listed above, no trailer brakes and my lights and gain controls still worked in the TBC itself. I think these are the specific issues associated with the bad solder joint. If other issues are present or any of these missing...my fix might not be the problem. Good luck with your TBC...i know how aggrivating this can be so i SURE hope this fixes it for ya!

·
Registered
82 Posts
My symptoms are exactly the same except I don't have a trailer with electronic brakes anymore to test if that part works. I know my utility trailer lights work (brake, park, turn) when hooked into the 4 prong smaller plug. Ill try to get it out tonight and take a look at it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, i had a guy comment on youtube and say that his had the exact same solder joint bad! I bet the greatest majority of these things were bad at that one point! When you guys get to yours...let us know if it was the same...i'm real curious to see how this comes out!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any updates on fixing these things? Just curious if this is the problem most of the time!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy who commented on the youtube video reported back yesterday and said that the exact same solder joint was bad in his and that reflowing the solder took care of the issue! Man, i am so glad this is working out for some folks...that thing drove me nuts!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Im going to try to take her out this afternoon after work since I don't have to work my second job today. I'll post up what I find. I hope this is it, the other common problem I found by scouring the interwebs is a short in the wiring/socket/bulb to the third brake light may cause it! I hate tracing shorts so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im going to try to take her out this afternoon after work since I don't have to work my second job today. I'll post up what I find. I hope this is it, the other common problem I found by scouring the interwebs is a short in the wiring/socket/bulb to the third brake light may cause it! I hate tracing shorts so fingers crossed!
Thats good to know about the third brake light...never heard that one! Hope you can find your trouble and fix it quick...i love working/fixing things but i get frustrated when the trouble shooting runs deep and long..lol!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That wouldn't be a TBC problem, that would be a "why aren't my lights working" problem. :dunno:
I think he may have meant that the third brake light not working may cause a TBC Fault message but i don't know. I never heard that one before but nothing surprises me on these trucks any more..lol!

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK I got the controller out and examined all the soldered joints. Everything looks to be fine, nothing burned or discolored or anything that even looked like a crappy joint. Yeah the third brake light thing I found somewhere and can;t for the life of me remember where... Anyways the fella was trying to figure out his tbc fault and found some kind of short with the bundle of wires that runs along the rear drivers door floor, up the C pillar and over towards the tbl. Now that we've figured out what those mystery boxes were under the dash (It was a KARR alarm system that's not enabled) and the joints are good I guess I'll start pulling the sill plates off and tracing wires. I'm not sure what else to check and I can't find a detailed enough wiring diagram. The one in the 6.0Bible didn't show the TBC.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK I got the controller out and examined all the soldered joints. Everything looks to be fine, nothing burned or discolored or anything that even looked like a crappy joint. Yeah the third brake light thing I found somewhere and can;t for the life of me remember where... Anyways the fella was trying to figure out his tbc fault and found some kind of short with the bundle of wires that runs along the rear drivers door floor, up the C pillar and over towards the tbl. Now that we've figured out what those mystery boxes were under the dash (It was a KARR alarm system that's not enabled) and the joints are good I guess I'll start pulling the sill plates off and tracing wires. I'm not sure what else to check and I can't find a detailed enough wiring diagram. The one in the 6.0Bible didn't show the TBC.
Might be worth getting a scanner to pull the codes for the TBC to see exactly whats going on. I've heard of the transducer on the master cylinder and a wiring harness that passes through the firewall. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well in a last ditch effort I was searching online to find out where relays were located and which ones they are so I could check them with this recurring issue, lo and behold I found a thread somewhere with the EXACT same symptoms that I have. TBC Fault, radio still on w/ key off door open, no dome lights with key off door open, no ding with key in ignition. Looks like these are all related and can be cured by taking it to a tech and having them reload the "came from factory with_" settings. These issues are usually caused by changing out the cluster without resetting the parameters or maybe it even had a power spike. I thought it was odd that all these problems were showing but diagnosing the sensors kept checking out ok so far. I'm going to try the tech before I chase anymore electrical down. The TBC actually puts out voltage after clearing the fault from the dash so I don't think the controller is faulty. Just wanted to update everyone.

Reactions: WD40
1 - 20 of 28 Posts