Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my truck for almost 2 months now. It has 77k on it and yesterday i drove on the highway for a couple hundred miles till I needed fuel. When i stopped white smoke started coming out of my exhaust about 30 seconds after i had stopped. It did not idle rough or run rough at all. The truck is running perfectly. It has not done this before and it seems to only do it if i drive it for a long distance. I drove it to class this morning which is only like 15 miles down the road and when i parked i let it cool down and no white smoke appeared. If anyone could help me out please do!!!

·
Another 6Slow
429 Posts
need to pull the codes on it, if you dont have a code reader go to autozone and have em check em could be a few things, also smell the exhaust if it smells sweet its coolant and id say your EGR cooler went, if it burns your eyes its fuel and then i would say injector or something along the lines of that.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
As stated coolant or fuel has the coolant went down in the degasing tank need gauges ASAP (Edge Insight or ScangaugeII) max spread on EOT-ECT is 15* i think if you are close to 10* doing 60 on flat ground after 5 or 10min. take your readings. I would part noses down hill and pull the egr valve to see if it is damp or wet after it is cold plus get a new set of o-rings you may need them if it is your egr cooler is bad. Check here
DTS Articles - 6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning
DTS Articles - EGR Servicing
2 stroker

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
X2 what 2 stroker said. Park the truck on an incline, nose down. Pull the EGR valve and leave it like this overnight. In the morning check the EGR valve hole for the presence of liquid. If you see liquid, your egr cooler has failed and is leaking coolant into the intake when the truck is running and can leak it into the combustion chambers when the truck is shut off. The coolant would flow down the up-pipe on the passenger side of the truck, and down into the exhaust manifold, then enter whatever cylinder happens to have the exhaust valve open.
Coolant flowing into the engine is the number one cause of head gasket failure. Do not ignore this issue since doing so will cost you thousands of dollars more in the end.
Do the above test and post up what you find.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys! Luckily my dad has a close friend at a ford dealership which he ran all the tests on my truck today and everything is perfect he said. He said the only that might of happened is that common vain in the turbo might of tried freezing up so i eventually might need to pull the turbo open it and clean it up and its fine .

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had the same thing happen right after I got my truck after driving for a while at a stop light it was puffing white smoke, the shop I used said the same thing "common vain in the turbo might of tried freezing, c;ean it and you will be good" after looking at it over night. They cleaned the turbo for me and have not had a problem since

1 - 6 of 6 Posts