Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem of sorts, got a new to me 04 F550 and it has a broken serpentine belt, all around the alternator, crank pulley, power steering pulley are shreds of belt and orange fluffy fiberglass stuff, it looks like the back of the fan shroud has a fiberglass sound deadener type panel? anyway, its somewhat ripped up and there's fluff everyplace. There is so very little room to work I'm thinking of just blowing out the area with compressed air to clean out the fluff and tightening up the remaining fluff with a little polyester resin.

Has anyone seen this soft shield shred itself before?

I found some rust around the AC pulley that was stopping it from turning easily but the bearing feels fine, I'll re-grease the bearing and put the pulley back in and check all the other tensioners. The alternator has a clicking and on my 99 this was happening when the commutator rings wore out and ate into the brushes. Lots to check out !!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well digging in today, using a claw grabber to pull out the fluff from everyplace and checking all the important wires near the belt, then going to put on a new tensioner and inspect all the idiler pulleys. Likely remove the alternator for inspection too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes indeed the belt had shredded itself to ribbons, not sure why, maybe age but the truck seems to have had regular service. Reaching in from every possible angle I was able to pull and tug this matting, 1/4 inch thick molded fiberglass sound padding away from its plastic christmas tree fasteners, then push the fasteners in all the way flush. It came out in about 20 small pieces all the way around the air deflector.

The previous owner was under the impression that the belt broke because of a locked AC compressor. One of the idiers on the tensioners was noisy so I replaced the tensioner and then removed the other two idler pulleys, they were low on grease so repacked them with red-n-tacky but noise wise and all they looked fine. The old tensioner seemed sticky, maybe it let the belt get loose. I pulled the AC compressor pulley off, dropped that snap ring 1300 times, and removed 40 feet of belt shards from around the fan shaft but managed to get it all back together and running okay.

Indeed it looks like the belt came apart slowly, wrapping around and behind every pulley and shaft and thrashing this fiberglass panel before finally breaking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have grill inserts restricting airflow into your fan? Going down the highway my last 03 fan kicked and sucked the rubber right off the fan shroud as it couldn't get enough air through the grill after downshift. I had a pretty heavy load and it was super hot outside. That could put a lot extra torque on your belt?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pudder, looking at the shreds and shards of belt, it looks like it started failing and was failing for a long time, the underside of the hood is all scarred up where the belt was whipping against it and such. Its possible it was driven a long time as the belt was disintegrating. Other than guessing it just wore out or the tensioner was not keeping it tight enough, all the spinny bits look fine. No aftermarket grill restrictions in place.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
I can hear my old trucking boss now saying, "Pre-trip, pre-trip pre-trip. If I catch you leaving without doing a pre-trip, it will be your last trip in my truck...."

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could not agree more! this is a new to me truck so I'm sorting out all the little issues, next seems to be a sluggish starter engagement, try to test it out today.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If, say the p/s pump, was changed more than twice the pulleys should be changed to. I was shredding belts until I changed the pulley. Haven't popped one in 5k miles or so

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.