Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This truck has 94,000 miles on it.
Regular maintenance front to back.
No aftermarket junk other than intake and exhaust.
No smoke of any color.
Good, strong puller. Until...

This truck seems to have developed a loss of power situation, and no dealer can seem to find the problem.

EGR replaced at Guymon, Ok. dealer.
Throttle body replaced at Trinidad, Co. dealer.
All diagnostics run clean.

This is the same truck that has pulled the same travel trailer into the highest elevations of interstate highway in Colorado and New York.

Now it can't seem to get out of it's own way.

What gives???

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
:bump::bump: id like to know too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the same thing I have going too!
I had a post called Turbo cuts in and out, and they said look at the ebpv.
let me know if you figure anything out, I am hosed down here!

I live down in Baja, and my 99.5 F350 (which has been running perfectly for 160,000) all of a sudden is having a power problem. At times the turbo works just fine and then it will just stop mid drive. Truck still runs, but w/o much power. Miles later and some worries, and it kicks back in??

Symptoms:
-Starts up just fine
-no turbo whine
-no turbo kick in power
-shifts gears later
-no smoke
-no fluids dripping
-no check engine lights

What I have done in the last 2 days:
changed oil and filter has 10W-40
changed air filter - was pretty fouled
changed fuel filter - was pretty fouled
drained the water out from the little thingy by the fuel filter

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pretty strange that they can't find anything wrong with it if it doesn't have any power. You might have an injector or two going bad. If they are weak the Ford dealer told me they couldn't find them until they went bad and quit firing. Have you ever had injector problems?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More info...

The dealer in Trinidad, Co. told me that the #8 injector had what he called "continuation", or something like that.

Since the truck was there overnight and was obviously cold the next morning, that he ran the diagnostics again. His feeling was that if any injector was having a problem, it would show up then.

After reading lots of other posts, I decided to try unplugging the ebp sensor. This stopped the computer from trying to make backpressure, which stopped the hissing sound from the tailpipe. It did seem to affect the engine a little, in that it seemed like the engine would hesitate just a little. I've since plugged the sensor back in, and the hissing is back.

The truck still seems to have a problem now and then just driving around without the trailer. I've seen no point so far in hooking up the trailer and dragging it up and down the highway just now. Being the holiday weekend, even if the truck started showing symptoms, there's nobody available at the dealer to have a look. Maybe next week.

Since my original post, I've been noticing a slight diesel smell from the exhaust. This smell is something more than the standard exhaust smell. While it's still not smoking at all, it kinda smells like there's unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sort of sounds like the ebpv. Did you check to see if the wastegate is opening or the linkage for the wastegate is broke and the wastegate is staying open? Not to sure about 6.0's. If the turbos are the same as 7.3's. Possible bad diaphram is the wastegate. :dunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little update...

I have since spoken to the dealer twice. After what I think is too much pleading, I've convinced them to attach their flight recorder (when it's available) to the truck. At that point, I'll have them also install a sensor to the fuel filter on top of the engine to monitor the fuel pressure. Then I'll hook up my trailer, and tow that puppy around for a few hours to let that engine get good and hot. I hope the weather is good and hot around here that day also.

I'll keep this thread updated as to the progress.:thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a little update:

I had a little "chat" with United Ford on North Memorial in Tulsa two weeks ago. Called the service writers direct line, and thanks to caller ID, he could see who was calling. When he answered, there was no "Hi! How are you", no "Good Morning!", no "Go to He**", nothing. He just started in on how he's "still waiting for the flight recorder to be returned, and I told you I'd call you when that happened".

Whoa! Get up on the wrong side of the bed AGAIN??? I reminded him that it had been SEVERAL weeks since he told me the recorder would be available 'next week', and that I'd called each week since then. With ZERO return phone calls, what am I suppposed to think?

He didn't have an answer for that.

Needless to say, I'll not be doing business with them any longer.

We did move to a new home last Feb., so there's another dealer alot closer to me now.

They've already found that the EGR valve installed in Guymon was bad right out of the box and replaced that. They also found that the oil cooler was "out of spec", and fixed that. They found the carrier bearing was shot, so I had them do that since they've already got it in the shop. They installed their flight recorder, and I have the truck back now just waiting for an opportunity to pull my travel trailer up and down the highway to try and cause the problem to appear, and capture it with the recorder.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Sort of sounds like the ebpv. Did you check to see if the wastegate is opening or the linkage for the wastegate is broke and the wastegate is staying open? Not to sure about 6.0's. If the turbos are the same as 7.3's. Possible bad diaphram is the wastegate. :dunno:
Just an FYI but the 6.0's dont have EBPV's or wastegates:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts