Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 2003 silverado dmax with 99,000 on it, well i work for ford and im taking a 2004 f250 in on trade. Its a 4x4 xlt with leather crew cab. 4in exhaust and intake never a programmer only used to pull 5th wheel camper. Has 30,000mi on it! Its in perfect condition, Of course i can get it for a stupid stupid low price. Under 20k ill put it that way. I know early 6.0's had issues so what should i look out for? What can i do right off the bat to make sure i dont have problems down the road (or at least try not to). It will be modded and it will have a programmer......please help me out fellas.
P.S if anyone needs a vin check or anything just PM me and i can get them. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
production date on an 04 would be better......prefferably anything after 9/29/03 IMHO. The only thing you should be concerned on an 04 with that few miles is "lot rot" on the VGT turbo where the variable veins stick or freeze from corrosion because of lack of use. What kind of intake? Stock is good up to about 500rwhp. Just don't let it be a K&N.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on the intake. I know K&N sucks i had one on my dmax. I think he drove it regularly, but more as a grocery getter and for the camper. He is a older man thats retired Army.
Also whats a goos tuner?
I hear of sct???
I know the best on dmax is efi live
Also what is the ford tranny good for hp wise before upgrades are needed?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would recommend an SCT tuner from Eric at Innovative Diesel. He will custom tune the motor and the transmission, and with his transmission tuning it will take anything you can throw at it and hold up fine. The Torqshift is a very strong transmission. I hate to say it, but it's a much stronger transmission stock than even the Allison.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The allison is a excelent transmission but only in stock form....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts