Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.. need some advise or options. Have done a TONE of work on this excursion.
APR Headbolts, EGR cooler, Injectors rebuilt, turbo rebuilt, new o rings on oil rails, new oil cooler, new ICP sensor, HPOP J tube and HPOP O-rings replaced (I might have forgot a thing to two) Truck hasn't ran for about 3 months (been too warm to work on it). Have been trying to start the truck for a few days now and still no start.
FORSCAN numbers after 30 sec of crank-
ICP 574.2PSI
IPR 84.77%
FICM 11V
FICM Main 48.35V
SYNC- Yes
FICM SYNC Yes
VBAT- 11.30

Any suggestions or clues how to get it started? Thanks for your help and wisdom ...

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,648 Posts
That IPR duty cycle is high for just delivering 574 psi pressure in the HPO system. Still, it should have started if that were the only issue.

You should verify fuel flow (and fuel pressure also, but you need a sensor and gauge to do that).

You should also check to see if the FICM is buzzing the injectors.

Take a look at the no-start troubleshooting thread:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me double check the pressure on the fuel (when my husband checked it I believe it was over 40psi with KOEO but I'll double check it right now). We have the gauge that sits on top of the fuel filter housing. I do hear the buzzing and glow plug light turns on and off when starting. Is there something else you mean by buzzing the injectors? Thanks for the bible links I have them but will look it over to see if I'm missing something.

·
6,648 Posts
The buzzing prior to starting is what I meant, but ForScan will also do an injector buzz test.

Also, please post the rpms when cranking. You need 150 minimum to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The buzzing prior to starting is what I meant, but ForScan will also do an injector buzz test.

Also, please post the rpms when cranking. You need 150 minimum to start.
OK did the injector buzz test with Forscan and test completed successfully no errors found . Fuel pressure on crank is over 60 psi. RPM 1/min shows 184 but the RPM ODBII 1/min shows 136?? not sure what the difference is.

·
6,648 Posts
Can you explain a little about the 184 rpm? How are you getting that number?

If the PCM isn't seeing over 150, then that is the thing to fix. It may be a slow crank or it could be an issue with the crank sensor. From my experience most folks can't just listen to a 6.0L cranking and tell if the rpms are high enough.

Make sure the batteries are fully charged and pass a load test (but if your VBAT number of 11.3 is when cranking, then they should be healthy).

If batteries are good, than maybe a starter issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does sound like it's cranking over like it wants to start. Just no go.. :( .. the FORScan had an option for 2 types of one says RPM, 1/min and other says RMP ODBII, 1/min could be from a different PID wasn't 100% sure which one is which. Have the batteries on the charger as a back up. They're pretty new but because of the cranking worried it drain them fast. Did check another crank live feed and did see them both at 186. If it's the starter would it still crank over or throw a code? I did notice that my STRT_RLY is disabled but wasn't sure if that is something that gets enabled once engine starts.

BTW thanks for your help.

·
6,648 Posts
If you are getting 186 cranking rpms, then the starter is adequate. Just keep the batteries charged.

As I mentioned above, the ICP number is low but it is enough that it should start. Could you post the "Injector (Fuel) Pulse Width" value when cranking?

Are you sure that ForScan detects no codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the codes they didnt' look like anything relevant but I could be off. I'll look for the "Injector (Fuel) Pulse Width" and grab that number.
Codes on the ForScan:
TCM - None
PCM - P0603-60 Power interruption on KAPWR
PCM- P1000-60 - On Board Diagnostic System readiness Test Not complete
ODBII- None
PATS- U1147- Communication link between the PATS and the PCM - Passive anti theft system
IC- U1262 -SCP Data Link Fault
IC - B1360 - Ignition switch circuit open
OTC- None
ECS- None
ABS- None

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't able to find an exact Injector (Fuel) Pulse Width. Forscan has a FuelPW and at crank it shows 0 ms and ICP is low in the afternoon. Wasn't able to get it over 500psi. Seems to do better in the mornings when it's cooler. (In SoCal so it's warmest in the afternoons)

·
6,648 Posts
Your Fuel Pulse Width signal comes from the FICM. If you don't have a commanded Pulse Width, it will not start. Sounds like an issue with the FICM logic board.

You clearly have an issue with the high pressure oil pressure as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your Fuel Pulse Width signal comes from the FICM. If you don't have a commanded Pulse Width, it will not start. Sounds like an issue with the FICM logic board.

Probably the HPOP .. we changed the o rings on it but did not change the any o rings on the branch tubes because of having to go through transmission to get to them? I'll have to check the connection on the FICM. This truck has been so much work .. after we put it together we now have a leak in the front cover from the which I'm sure will be the next project to do. But love the truck so will have to just get around to doing it. I'm sure once it's running it'll be "bullet proofed" for a while. 🤞🤞

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hi Mark,

So we went and got the new FICM board and still no fuel showing on the fuel pulse width. We we are now wondering if the rebuilt injectors would cause a no start/no fuel? Next stop will probably be a shop :( .. sadly to say ..

·
6,648 Posts
When you say you got a new FICM board, what do you mean? The only board that is available for the FICM is the Power Board, and that is certainly not your issue. Remember, I mentioned the Logic board?

·
6,648 Posts
If a known good FICM doesn't resolve the issue, then the next most likely issue would be the Cam sensor or its wiring, but since you have both Syncs, the most likely candidate is still the FICM ..... if all you did was change out the Power Board (probably unfortunate if you did since the aftermarket Power Boards aren't as well made as the OEM one - at least IMO).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts