Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was heading to my lease in Mississippi and I was on the interstate cruising at about 75 mph turning about 2100-2300 rpms and all of a sudden I lost all engine power. It started slowing down and I gave it gas and the rpms shot up and it just quit. I pulled over and came to a stop, engine was no longer running. I turned off the key and let it sit for 10-15 seconds.. I turned the key back on and let the fuel pump run for about 5 seconds and it fired right back up and I got back on the highway and ran like nothing happened. Made it to the camp and been using the truck all day and it's running beautifully.. Any help on diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow powerstrokers.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Do you have a monitor? Is your truck an early 04? May be icp/pigtail acting up.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no type of monitor. Waiting on head studs before adding a programmer or anything like that.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's an early build 04. MF Date July of 2003z

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Monitor, not tuner/programmer, good idea to do this.........http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=259257

Your icp is located under the turbo next to the ipr, it is prone to failure on this year model. Check it and see if oil is running down the back of your bell housing. It is a good idea to change the pigtail while your there. Without a monitor for live data, everything is just a guess. I'm on the ms gulf coast if your ever this way.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on bringing it to the dealer cause its due for a full tune up. I'll get em to run some tests and help figure out what else may be starting to fade out. The truck has 179,xxx miles with original gaskets and bolts *knock on wood* so I think I'll get them to run through and check it out.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much does the edge insight cts help? And is it worth buying? Cause I'm looking into getting one for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
How much does the edge insight cts help? And is it worth buying? Cause I'm looking into getting one for Christmas.

EVERY 6.0 NEEDS A MONITOR!!!!

I highly recommend the Edge CTS monitor. It is arguably the best monitor for the 6.0. I have had the scanguage II, DashBoos and now the CTS and I love the CTS. When you ready to add some bigger power its expandable for EGT and Fuel PSI.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm planning on bringing it to the dealer cause its due for a full tune up. I'll get em to run some tests and help figure out what else may be starting to fade out. The truck has 179,xxx miles with original gaskets and bolts *knock on wood* so I think I'll get them to run through and check it out.
Diesel engine tune ups amount to oil changes, fuel filters, and turbo cleaning. For $160 dollars, you can buy the scanguage II. Thats all you need. Dealers are known to cause more problems to the 6.0, there is more knowledge here than you will ever need.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Diesel engine tune ups amount to oil changes, fuel filters, and turbo cleaning. For $160 dollars, you can buy the scanguage II. Thats all you need. Dealers are known to cause more problems to the 6.0, there is more knowledge here than you will ever need.

:agree:

Stay away from "Dealer Tune-Ups"...it really means nothing. Save the money for a gauge and change your own oil and filters. And cleaning the turbo isn't all that difficult.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'd like to just get the problem figured out, and I can do the rest. I've done my share of repairs/upgrades/installs on my 6.0 and I do all my fuel filter/oil filter/changes myself.
I just wanted to see if anyone had ever experienced something similar, but you guys have already helped out tremendously.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i made it back home with no problems. Battery light was flickering the first 5-10 minutes of run time but then it quit and gave me no types of problems besides my lights surging but im pulling the alternator and going get it tested, and i just ordered the Edge Insight CTS so looking forward to it. Thanks for all yall help and i'll post when i figure out this problem. Thanks powerstrokers.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Sounds good, would be a good idea to get your batteries load tested, bad batteries kill ficms. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Didnt the 04s have probs wit injector harnesses...

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Didnt the 04s have probs wit injector harnesses...

I think maybe the ficm plugs, associated with the injector harness.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just thought it wuz injector harness probs...it wuould rub against somethin and short out and cut the engine off...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I just thought it wuz injector harness probs...it wuould rub against somethin and short out and cut the engine off...

Yes, the straight ficm plugs pushed the wires against the valve covers. I believe the plugs are designed at right angle now. I haven't heard of overwelming problems. I looked at my early 04', the two plugs towards the back are straight, but not rubbing, the plug closest to the front is right angle, not rubbing. I think the two plugs towards the rear are for the injectors.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ok...i have an 06 so i didnt have 2 worry about it, but do remember hearin about it so i wanted 2 bring it up...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i got a brand new alternator cause the one on the truck had a lifetime warranty and the regulator failed the test.. lights no longer surge or flicker while idling or driving, just waiting on CTS monitor to be in, hopefully by the end of the week, so i can make sure all voltages are correct.. i"ll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
well i got a brand new alternator cause the one on the truck had a lifetime warranty and the regulator failed the test.. lights no longer surge or flicker while idling or driving, just waiting on CTS monitor to be in, hopefully by the end of the week, so i can make sure all voltages are correct.. i"ll keep you guys updated.
Good, your on the right track, I would also suggest you put a coolant filter on as soon a you can, it will help prevent oil cooler clogging on the coolant side. You will be able to see the health of the oil cooler once you get your monitor hooked up, but the coolant filter is necessary. Ipr is the best on the market now, but any is better than none at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts