Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on upgrading to a 6.0. I was wondering if there is anything that i should be concerned with i.e motor, tranny the works. it is a 2004 6.0L psd cclb. the motor is completely stock with 26,000 miles on it. Any input would be great. I am planning on exhaust, intake, egr delete, and studs.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I am planning on upgrading to a 6.0. I was wondering if there is anything that i should be concerned with i.e motor, tranny the works. it is a 2004 6.0L psd cclb. the motor is completely stock with 26,000 miles on it. Any input would be great. I am planning on exhaust, intake, egr delete, and studs.
thats a good mod list.

When you do the studs, have the heads magnafluxed for cracks and also checked for flatness, also visually inspect the cylinder walls for any cracks.

They also have a revised oil drain tune that is larger I would suggest installing.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
I'll be honest I get on hear and read about all the problems people are having out of their 03 and 04 6.0s and all I can say is I must just have a good one because mine runs great. I did have a slight oil leak about 30K ago, but the dealership fixed that asap. I am studded and my egr is blocked, so that might be one of the reasons mine runs so good. I'm sure once you do all the mods that you're planning yours will be just as reliable. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
most of the problems I have encountered were in my quest for Horsepower and torque. Running a mild program, with your list of mods shouldn't yield a lot of issues. Just remember there are only 4 head bolts per cylinder, and when the cylinder pressure goes up the heads lift (yes, even with studs). That's why they are called 6 leakers. As long and you aren't constantly filling your degass bottle daily with a large amount of water, you should be fine. When the motor starts consuming gallons per day, you're water washing the cylinder walls (not good) removing the cross-hatching.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts