Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a small oil leak back in January on my truck, and thought it may have been just excess spilled from a recent oil change. Then as the days and weeks progressed, the leak got worse.. Crawled under and noticed it coming from the top rear section of the motor, with a stronger drip on the driver side, with a few drops coming from the passenger side, leaking down the tranny. Now it is a steady and heavy leak, but only begins to leak as the truck warms up. does not leak from start up. after about 5-10 minutes at idle, it begins and worsens as the motor heats up. Changed driver side valve cover gasket thinking it may have had something to do with it, but it didnt solve the whole problem. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
ICP sensor

Replace the sensor and the pigtail

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Well just take a look at the sensor before hand. A few of them have been known to leak

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any way of getting a better view of it without pulling everything apart? I heard 2003 motors have a easy access icp sensor that you can get to from under the truck...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a leak that sounds like yours I don't know exactly where it come from but from the top rear of the engine. Some people have said it could be the rear main or hpop but we have diff engines

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I have the same year, its your ICP. Mine was doing the same thing. You have to pull the Turbo to get to it. At least that is what I did. Good luck.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,903 Posts
You dont have to pull the turbo...You can get to it from under the truck. Removed the rear heat sheild at the top of the motor, and you will be able to see it. I use a cut down 1 1/16 wrench to remove them and replace them. All said and done its about a half hour job once youve done one.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easiest way to remove the heat shield is also from underneath? or take it off from the top?

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Oh sweet. I did not know that. I'll try that next time. Can you do it lying on the ground in the driveway? That's my work area lol. I don't know if my abdominal muscles area strong enough lol. Thanks

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,903 Posts
Yep changed sevral laying down. Kinda awkward the first time but still easy. The heat sheild and ICP sensor from underneth, the pigtail you will have to do from up top.
Edit: The heat sheild has 2 10mm bolts and a hidden 13mm by the drivers side up pipe. Your choice to put the sheild back on or not. I always install them if its a customer rig, but mine has been long gone. I guess I should warn you alot of the repair you do by feel, but it beets pulling the turbo anyday.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Yeah, If I have to do it again, I'm going to try it from underneath next time. And my heat shield will not be replaced lol. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the info. But its weird that im getting all the normal readings from the icp.. Guess its just screwing with me.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,903 Posts
Mine was completly normal but leaking pretty good. I just fixed one on a customer truck that was pissing oil while running but the readings were normal.

I would start with pulling the heat sheild to see what is leaking. Most common is the ICP but who knows it might be somthing else back there.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright man thanks for the advice. I'll post sometime during the week when i find the issue!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any way of removing sensor from top without removing the turbo?

·
Registered
19 Posts
any updates on this? I have an 03 with the same leak. also whats the lifespan of an ICP sensor? I changed mine about 80k ago

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I have replaced my 03 ICP at around 65k, and then at 104k (just for insurance since I was already back there), when the HPOP failed. I'm to big to try and get to the ICP from underneath, I have to pull the turbo. Maybe next time I get back there, i'll leave the heat shield off as someone has already mentioned. Regards.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was indeed the ICP sensor that failed. Got the new one from ford yesterday, cause i had to argue with the service rep for 5 minutes that there are 2 different types of ICP sensors for the 6.0's. One for early builds and one for later builds. Hopefully throwing the truck back together this week.:ford:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts