Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum for my answer. I hope this is not redundant.
My stock cooling fan serges occationally when climbing passes with a load. The fan comes on and stay,s on untill it cools, and then shuts off. Once in a while it will start serging on and off, I don,t notice any power change, just the noise of the fan comming on and off. Has anybody experienced this? Is this a normal quirk?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
pretty sure what you are seeing is normal, the pcm takes the engine cooling temp and if it sees it needs more fan then it will engage the fan , the duty cycle of the fan is determined from different inputs , load , ect, etc. how much the fan is engaged is determined by those readings , i guess what im getting at is there is no set schedule for the fan , if the pcm thinks it needs it then it will be engaged

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has done the same exact thing. either when i have a load or idle it in the 100 deg texas weather along time. dont think its to much to worry about its an 05 6.0 only problems i hade was the egr and rubuilt the turbo on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not much to worry about unless it does'nt shut down on its own. Then it will have to have a new hydrostatic fan clutch & reprogram the ECM. There are reprogram issues w/ trks. w/ snow plow & other attachments which controls the fan more when it is needed to keep the temps down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, that's normal. My old fan used to do that. Like was previously stated, numerous factors (ECT...) are used to determine when it kicks into a higher fan speed. My problem is my new fan assembly doesn't spin faster than low speed. I've been getting higher temps than before. I don't hear that distinct howling anymore. And i've had oil temps up to 252 degrees lately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts