Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here’s the issues my buddy has a 2004 f350 6.0 we’ve been working on it together since it died a week ago he was at a gas station left the truck running came back out and the truck was off so he tried cranking it and nothing would happen other than 2 codes cam position sensor and crank position sensor so we replaced both and also put on a snap on scanner on the truck to rule out any issues ficm is in sync voltage is 49 with key on engine off ICP is building pressure up to 800 and ipr was replaced as well were kind of stuck right now with no other ideas to what could be wrong any input would be sweet as well as hooking up a 150 psi compressor to the IPR and to see if we could hear any hissing or anything compressor lost no pressure so that rules out the HPOP.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Look at the bubble test. Basically, you pull the cap on the upper fuel bowl, jump the starter, and watch for air bubbles when cranking. Air bubbles when cranking is bad.

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
How much fuel is in it? Did he fill it up with gas?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,782 Posts
Make sure your ICP volts agree with the ICP pressure. Might want to track down a known good FICM to try. They can be bad even with good MPower.

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
Is there fuel in the bowl? Does the fuel pump cycle at key on? Have you checked fuel pressure?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there fuel in the bowl? Does the fuel pump cycle at key on? Have you checked fuel pressure?
Fuel is in the bowl we can hear the fuel pump after injectors cycle
Make sure your ICP volts agree with the ICP pressure. Might want to track down a known good FICM to try. They can be bad even with good MPower.
How would we test that we a snap on scanner and it told us FICM voltage and FICM sync it showed us the ICP pressure but I couldn’t find duty cycle or volts

·
5,782 Posts
An owner can not test the FICM logic side. FICMrepair.com does though!

I have no idea how to retrieve PIDs from a SnapOn scan tool - sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An owner can not test the FICM logic side. FICMrepair.com does though!

I have no idea how to retrieve PIDs from a SnapOn scan tool - sorry.
It’s ok thank you for your help! So you think it would be the FICM more than anything?

·
5,782 Posts
The FICM is just one of several possibilities. The ICP sensor voltage will tell us if your high pressure oil system is really OK. I would check cam/crank sync when cranking also. Then check the 5 volt reference voltage. Lastly you need 150 + rpm to start,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The FICM is just one of several possibilities. The ICP sensor voltage will tell us if your high pressure oil system is really OK. I would check cam/crank sync when cranking also. Then check the 5 volt reference voltage. Lastly you need 150 + rpm to start,
Ok I will let him know we’re picking up 2 new batteries today because they have been low because of constant cranking but we have 2 cars trying to jump start it 😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let us know. Our truck died backing up after driving for an hour. So far we have checked from lpop to hpop and now doing branch tube and decided we will bulletproof it while we are at it. Ficm with a snap on scan tool had the the same thing. Our neighbor is also a mechanic used his and the different readings from one to another was way off 200 psi to 128psi. We will have everything pulled apart this weekend. But from what we have tested the branch tube broke. But we were not building psi. So far icp, ipr, hpop, discharge tube all replaced air tested and it was coming out somewhere. We concluded based off some broken pieces possibly branch tube. Already did dummy plugs and stem pipes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let us know. Our truck died backing up after driving for an hour. So far we have checked from lpop to hpop and now doing branch tube and decided we will bulletproof it while we are at it. Ficm with a snap on scan tool had the the same thing. Our neighbor is also a mechanic used his and the different readings from one to another was way off 200 psi to 128psi. We will have everything pulled apart this weekend. But from what we have tested the branch tube broke. But we were not building psi. So far icp, ipr, hpop, discharge tube all replaced air tested and it was coming out somewhere. We concluded based off some broken pieces possibly branch tube. Already did dummy plugs and stem pipes
Turns out bully dog fried the PCM so we put a new one in because a ford diesel mechanic had no clue what he was doing now we need to get the PCM flashed and the truck should run perfect thanks for everyone’s help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turns out bully dog fried the PCM so we put a new one in because a ford diesel mechanic had no clue what he was doing now we need to get the PCM flashed and the truck should run perfect thanks for everyone’s help
Hopefully its fixed now! We ended up having to pull engine and bullet proof passenger side head studs were stretched
.. now we wont start but looks like we have a ficm problem now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully its fixed now! We ended up having to pull engine and bullet proof passenger side head studs were stretched
.. now we wont start but looks like we have a ficm problem now
I hope you figure it out it took us 2 new batteries cam and crank sensor ipr ipc ficm was fine harnesses were good so turns out it was the PCM all along 😑

1 - 15 of 15 Posts