Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new hpop new icp new ipr was driving and truck just died no hic up no sputtering no loss of power just totally died. coasted off the road tried to start it again no crank. dash lights come on in pre start power windows work pulled ficim and pcm both check out ok. checked all fuses and relays all were good. hooked up my sct tuner to check for any codes and it reads cant connect to the obd2 port? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
Will the truck not turn over at all? I hit a bump with mine recently and blew out my glow plug relay, fuse 22 I think kept popping when I tried to crank and the fuel pump wouldn't turn on either because of the fuse.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
491 Posts
Check under your steering wheel fuse panel and check fuse 22. Mine wouldn't read either.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
A few have had the 5v Vref get shorted to ground and this caused the truck to go dead, including no crank. The last one turned out to be a direct short near the ICP plug due to loom and wire chafing.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have power to the obd2 on the pins its supposed to have power to the scanners power up but read unable to connect.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Try a different scan tool.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried both SCT tuner, scan gauge 2, and autoenginuity all same result the SCT powers up and so does the scan gauge 2 and the ae is on laptop but all say unable to connect

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
OK, then I stand by my previous post that you probably have a 5v+ Vref that is shorted out. It will not blow a fuse because it is low current. You will have to trace it down and possibly back to the PCM. EBP, MAF&IAT1, MAP, ICP, EOT, ECT, IAT2, AP, EGR, CKP, and CMP. The last 2 generate their own signal, but could influence the OBD communication.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I think I found something on the 12 way on off engine connector c1282 the resistance on it is 5 ohms can't find anything on line as to what the resistance should be.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ficim power ground is reading 5 ohms should it be closer to 0 ohms? And does anyone know where the 12 way on / off engine connector grounds to? It reads 5 ohms. And does anyone have the 24 way transmission connector pin out and which is ref volt pin?

·
Registered
420 Posts
This connector is hard to trace out. Specifically what pin are you referring to?

Here is one diagram I found for a 2004 that shows one ground passing through that connector (look at the lower left for the AC field coil)

Depending on which side of the connector you may be seeing the coil resitance not the ground. See attached connector face diagram.

MikeB
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the FICM x3 connector pins 1 & 22 (FICM pwr gnd) I'm reading 5 ohms to ground( I would think this reading would be less than 1 ohm). The next connector the ground passes thru on the way to a grounding stud somewhere on the truck( which I cant find) is the 12 way on/off engine connector(P1282), reading Pin 1 on the On the truck harness side , not the engine harness side is also 5 ohms. Does 5 ohms seem high? if so where is the ground stud location so I can check/clean it?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think you are referrign to C1388C. See this pic:

c1388c.jpg

The ground you are looking for is G101 (at the bottom left of previous diagram).

G101 is located here:
G101.jpg

You are correct that your continuity to ground should less than an ohm. Make sure your meter has a good battery in it.... Seen screwy readings lead folks down the wrong path just cause of a weak 9V in the meter.

MikeB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts