Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a tuner that can create an optimized stock tune and be able to enable exhaust brake when towing. My 03 has 262,000 miles on it with stock head bolts and gasket. I live in Colorado and I dont do alot of towing but when I do it is in the mountains and having an exhaust brake would be really helpful.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
there is not really a true exhaust brake tune for the 6.0l. They can incorporate it into the tuning but its still not quite an exhaust brake so many buy one. I know BD Diesel and Banks and a few others are around. If you google 6.0l custom tunes in the forum you'll find a list. But to be honest the tow haul mode feature on a 6.0l is fantastic. It actually changes so much more compared to older diesels.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
there is not really a true exhaust brake tune for the 6.0l. They can incorporate it into the tuning but its still not quite an exhaust brake so many buy one. I know BD Diesel and Banks and a few others are around. If you google 6.0l custom tunes in the forum you'll find a list. But to be honest the tow haul mode feature on a 6.0l is fantastic. It actually changes so much more compared to older diesels.
Unless you have a manual trans ;) I have a Quick Tricks EcoCity tune with the 'exhaust brake' enabled and it works very well, though I don't run it all the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
SCT Livewire TS, offer a Jake brake function. Works very well, to my understanding adjusts position of viens in turbo based on throttle position to aid in engine braking. Not a true exhaust brake. But does a great job. Also a funtion to keep torque convertor locked in tow/haul mode on deceleration. Tunes include; transmission only, 50hp towing, 65hp towing, street, and performance.

Selecting the Trans only tune, enabling the jake brake function and locked at CT function will be excellent. Have the Livewires in both my 6.0's. Great unit and recommend it. Sounds like it is exactly what youre after.

Edit-Nice to hear of the high milage engine on factory bolts. You will have the power at your finger tips to crank it up with this device. Not even the 50hp is safe IMO. Program trans only with jake brake and locked at ct and leave it. Your truck will thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SCT Livewire TS, offer a Jake brake function. Works very well, to my understanding adjusts position of viens in turbo based on throttle position to aid in engine braking. Not a true exhaust brake. But does a great job. Also a funtion to keep torque convertor locked in tow/haul mode on deceleration. Tunes include; transmission only, 50hp towing, 65hp towing, street, and performance.

Selecting the Trans only tune, enabling the jake brake function and locked at CT function will be excellent. Have the Livewires in both my 6.0's. Great unit and recommend it. Sounds like it is exactly what youre after.

Edit-Nice to hear of the high milage engine on factory bolts. You will have the power at your finger tips to crank it up with this device. Not even the 50hp is safe IMO. Program trans only with jake brake and locked at ct and leave it. Your truck will thank you.
This sounds perfect thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts