Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I just got done putting injectors and glow plugs in a 2003 f250. Everything went together great.

I have spent 4 hours trying to get his truck to start. I checked the icp voltage while cranking and its at 0.18 volts, I know.that's way to low volts. I unplugged the icp to try to start the truck in default mode. Still nothing. The ipr shows it's at 15% while starting. FICM voltages is at 47.5 while cranking. It's plugged in properly I've tripled checked it, and I have hot batteries with a booster pack and a battery charger booster as well.

All help is welcomed.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Are you sure the hpo hose to the oil rail was snapped on correctly? It happend to another member.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Are you sure the hpo hose to the oil rail was snapped on correctly? It happend to another member.

This is the most likely answer! Those dang hoses are tough to get snapped all the way back together correctly.

I have even heard what I though was the "click" of the snap ring only to find that the hose had popped off... Of course that was after hours of trying to get the truck started...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Mine didn't unsnap. It was screwed into the rail.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Mine didn't unsnap. It was screwed into the rail.
Well, I think you un screwed the part you was supposed to un snap the hose off of. You may need to look at the oring that was there and the orings inside that fitting on the hose that unsnaps. It is actually what is called an stc fitting. Snap to connect.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I think you un screwed the part you was supposed to un snap the hose off of. You may need to look at the oring that was there and the orings inside that fitting on the hose that unsnaps. It is actually what is called an stc fitting. Snap to connect.

I thought the 03 trucks didn't have the fabled STC fitting?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
That was for the connection comming off of the hpop. The 03's had them on the oil rails instead.
Two per hose, one on each end.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I need some help. I just got done putting injectors and glow plugs in a 2003 f250. Everything went together great.

I have spent 4 hours trying to get his truck to start. I checked the icp voltage while cranking and its at 0.18 volts, I know.that's way to low volts. I unplugged the icp to try to start the truck in default mode. Still nothing. The ipr shows it's at 15% while starting. FICM voltages is at 47.5 while cranking. It's plugged in properly I've tripled checked it, and I have hot batteries with a booster pack and a battery charger booster as well.

All help is welcomed.
ipr 15% while starting? it should go up to 85? the drop back down gradually. if there is a leak it will be pegged at 85% trying to close to build pressure. check your numbers again cranking please. tell me pressures too. i need to now ipr,rpm,icp,sync,ficm sync p.s. like they said make sure you snapped both stc fittings back down. i dont think you have a check valve issue because they will usually create a high rpm misfire not a no start.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I thought the 03 trucks didn't have the fabled STC fitting?
03 and early 04 do not have t-fitting they have issue with check ball blowing out of back of hpop. but he siad his ipr was 15% there is no leak if it is 15%

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
03 and early 04 do not have t-fitting they have issue with check ball blowing out of back of hpop. but he siad his ipr was 15% there is no leak if it is 15%
He said he is showing .18v on icp, he should be seeing 1.0. I did not say there were "t fittings", there are stc fittings under the valve covers on the high pressure hoses, he unscrewed the part that typically stays in the oil rail instead of disconnecting the stc fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
He said he is showing .18v on icp, he should be seeing 1.0. I did not say there were "t fittings", there are stc fittings under the valve covers on the high pressure hoses, he unscrewed the part that typically stays in the oil rail instead of disconnecting the stc fitting.

I dont know where that came from as i wasnt talking to you? every 03 to mid 04 reading on icp is 0.18v that is normal static reading with engine off key on. The srewed in peaces you are refering too are the check valves these are the same as stand pipes on late 04 and up sence the stand pipes on 03 to mid 04 are hollow.And no one caught the fact that the ipr is only 14% and this indicates NO HIGH PRESSURE OIL LEAK with the engine cranking!

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Connect the scan tool.
Ignition ON, engine OFF.
Access and monitor the ICP, ICP_V, IPR, EOT and RPM PIDS.
If the ICP voltage is not between 0.15 and 0.35 volts with the ignition ON, engine OFF, GO to Pinpoint Test Q .
If the engine does not start, disconnect the ICP sensor connector and attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts with the ICP sensor disconnected, GO to Pinpoint Test Q .
If the engine does not start with the ICP sensor disconnected, carry out the High Pressure Oil System Air Pressure Check in this section.
If the engine starts, warm the engine up until the EOT temperature is greater than 80°C (176°F), then turn the ignition to the OFF position.
If the ICP sensor connector is disconnected, connect the ICP sensor connector.
Crank the engine and attempt to restart.
Compare the PID data to the specification and the graphs during engine start-up.
Note: A CKP signal is required before the IPR is commanded above 14%.

If the ICP does not meet the minimum specification of 3.5 MPa (500 psi), the injectors are not enabled by the PCM because of insufficient rail pressure.

If the IPR duty cycle is greater than the specification at warm idle, a leak in the high pressure oil system is suspect. Carry out the High Pressure Oil System Air Pressure Check in this section.

If the IPR duty cycle is greater than 14%, ICP pressure should increase above 3.5 MPa (500 psi) provided that the IPR valve is not stuck open, the high pressure pump is building pressure and there is not an injection control pressure system leak between the high pressure pump and the injectors.

Not all high injection control pressure oil system issues result in a no start condition. Intermittent hard start or slow start conditions may be the result of a small leak in the injection control pressure system.

If the oil is leaking from the ICP system or if air is trapped in the ICP system, the IPR valve may be commanded fully closed (85% duty cycle) while the starter is engaged in an attempt to exceed 3.5 MPa (500 psi). Monitoring RPM, IPR duty cycle, and ICP while cranking the engine, after 5 minute soak, may assist in ICP system diagnosis. ICP system leaks results in no start, hard start, slow start or intermittent hard start conditions. The symptoms caused by small leaks are present only with excessive ICP after engine start and are more prevalent on warm engines when the oil viscosity is lower.

here ya go in black and white

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I dont know where that came from as i wasnt talking to you? every 03 to mid 04 reading on icp is 0.18v that is normal static reading with engine off key on. The srewed in peaces you are refering too are the check valves these are the same as stand pipes on late 04 and up sence the stand pipes on 03 to mid 04 are hollow.And no one caught the fact that the ipr is only 14% and this indicates NO HIGH PRESSURE OIL LEAK with the engine cranking!
Ok, I'm not talking to you, he states icp is .18v cranking, that typically indicates lack of hpo pressure. The screwed in pieces he is referring to is also what the stc fittings on the hpo hoses connect to. I'm not trying to talk down to you, no need to get uptight.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ipr 15% while starting? it should go up to 85? the drop back down gradually. if there is a leak it will be pegged at 85% trying to close to build pressure. check your numbers again cranking please. tell me pressures too. i need to now ipr,rpm,icp,sync,ficm sync
RPM-between 198 to 209 according to the scanner
IPR-85% while cranking, 15% KOEO
ICP-0.16 volts while cranking, 0.15 volts KOEO
Sync- scanner show yes while cranking, yes while KOEO
FICM sync-scanner shows yes while cranking, no while KOEO
FICM- 47.5 volts while cranking, 47.0 volts while KOEO

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
RPM-between 198 to 209 according to the scanner
IPR-85% while cranking, 15% KOEO
ICP-0.16 volts while cranking, 0.15 volts KOEO
Sync- scanner show yes while cranking, yes while KOEO
FICM sync-scanner shows yes while cranking, no while KOEO
FICM- 47.5 volts while cranking, 47.0 volts while KOEO
ok that 85% is a big leak thats what i wanted to see. air test your high presure oil system and see if there is a leak. if you can get to the ipr just apply 12 volts to just the valve to see if you hear a audible change in air this will let you now valve is working. on the 03 early 04s its very common to see the check ball in the back of the hpop blow out. hope this helps and thank you for pids!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. I'll do pressure test and see what happens. If no luck I'll try back.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll do pressure test and see what happens. If no luck I'll try back.
ill pm you my number the guy in canada owes me a case so you may too in tenn lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts