Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new to the site I’m currently in the process of rebuilding my 2003 6.0 motor and would like to ask some opinions on different parts i should use and or best overhaul kits looking for the best build for reliability, trucks never had a tuner on it and i plan on keeping the truck forever so I’d like to do everything i should while the motors out of it. Reason for rebuild is i lost a lifter at 175,000 and was planning on using a colt cam with rebuild.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response the block is completely stripped down and getting hot tanked when i go to get the parts should i use all ford gaskets and ford parts or is there a better alternative i already talked with them and we’re doing all new pistons polishing crank new lifters, pushrods and bearings is there anything you guys can really think of doing while it’s completely torn down besides headstuds?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Always buy Ford seals. Dummy plugs, standpipes, might be worth it to do new valve springs, and try to reseal everything. Arp studs of course

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
No standpipes, no dummy plugs. Unless you install a 2005+ HPOP and delivery plumbing.

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
2003 F350 ECSB
77 Posts
excited to see how this goes for you. I got an 03 I wanna tear down this year

·
Registered
2003 F350 ECSB
77 Posts
Thanks man I’ve wanted to since i bought the truck and it finally gave me the reason to do it I’ll definitely try and get some pictures to update
That would be awesome. Have fun with it

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have you priced a complete long block from KDD or Ashland ( think that’s the name )? A few years ago the price didn’t make sense to rebuild yourself, was cheaper and you had a warranty to just purchase. No matter what way you go I would add a cam like the colt stage 2. Heads I went UFC they are local to me and can’t say enough good about them. But in the end I spent more than a full rebuilt long block and the bottom end only received the cam and all bearings all labor on me. Mahle pistons are the OEM and what to use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you priced a complete long block from KDD or Ashland ( think that’s the name )? A few years ago the price didn’t make sense to rebuild yourself, was cheaper and you had a warranty to just purchase. No matter what way you go I would add a cam like the colt stage 2. Heads I went UFC they are local to me and can’t say enough good about them. But in the end I spent more than a full rebuilt long block and the bottom end only received the cam and all bearings all labor on me. Mahle pistons are the OEM and what to use.
Thanks for the insight colt cam is already on my list my buddy has a shop that builds engines so he’s tackling the task with me so that’s the reason we’re building it vs just buying a long block

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does anyone know of a good set of y pipes that are one piece instead of using the egr delete pipe seems like everyone stopped making them now with all these government rules

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
does anyone know of a good set of y pipes that are one piece instead of using the egr delete pipe seems like everyone stopped making them now with all these government rules
Do you really want the one piece? I can't imagine it will be easy to get the one-piece out and off the engine when it's in the truck if you needed it off down the road.

Reactions: bismic

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Reactions: mlgjellybean123

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Those are discontinued as of a couple years ago. Commifornia hit them because there was no provision for the egr.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I couldn’t bring myself to like your post, so I must acknowledge it with this response. I still find that part# listed at a couple places, with the correct photo and number. But it seems to always lack a description. The egr units all have the description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 59 Posts