Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok picked up a 6.0 2003 last year for a amazing price. Was told on the interstate the truck blew gray smoke and wouldn't start after losing power and stalling out. When I picked up truck it had a newish looking turbo, new radiator and new starter. I had the egr deleted, updated oil cooler, new icp, new ipr, new FICM harness. Blue spring upgrade. Now when I first drained the oil it was right at the rim of a 5 gallon bucket. Way too much. When it started it would blow white smoke and fall flat on its face with a awful miss in under 2min

When truck was put all back together it smoked like crazy and blowing black oily raw diesel fuel out exhaust. I then took it to local shop where I was told 8th injector was stuck open. I could t afford to repair as I was moving across country that week and had to save up to have the truck shipped to me. Then saved up and took it to diesel shop was told 8th Injector was fine was actually #1 and #3. So I paid $960 with parts to have those replaced when I went to pick up my truck expecting it to be drivable it was still blowing fuel. Machanic said needs new motor that one or more of the cylinders wash washed with diesel said was pointless to even inspect further or do compression test. I get it home on a tow truck furious. I just did my own compression test all are showing right below or right at 400psi. All the glow plugs looked ok except for 2, 6, 8 had fuel and small amount of oil. I then had my wife use the under hood pin to crank motor with plugs out and sure enough fuel blew out of those cylinders especially #8 and the exhaust header off of 8 was damp looking compared to rest of the header. If I start truck it idles for 3 minutes or less than stalls and if I do that more than 2-4 times it locks up. Is it just injectors? Fuel cups? Cracked head? Is compression is that good does that mean I don't have to rebuild. I got maybe another $1000 I can invest before my wife makes me sell this project. All in all I'm around $4000-4800 invested in 2003 f250 super duty xlt 4 door long bed fx4 270k miles. Please point me in right direction. C as n afford the 3-5k for new motor

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
You likely do have one or more bad injectors - the hydro locking points to a stuck injector tip -- which would also explain the rough run and stall, from compression blowing into the fuel rails
Your compression should be 380-420 psi, so that 400 is decent -- the "mechanic" was wrong - diesel will not "wash out" a cylinder
Why did you have your Wife use the jumper wire?? You afraid to get diesel on you?? -- supposed to use the jumper with the key off -- otherwise the injectors will put fuel into the cylinders and look like bad injectors
You can however use this scenario to see which injector is stuck open -- it would be the one that is blowing the most fuel out the glow plug hole

I would suggest pulling the glow plugs again(removing the fender liners helps a lot) and cranking with the key while observing the fuel that is blown out -- the "bad" injector should show -- we can work from that point
You likely have more problems, but this is a starting point, and will address them

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had her use the starter pin so I could see the glow plug holes on driver side. So I should pull the glow plugs again and only use the starter pin with key out?

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
I had her use the starter pin so I could see the glow plug holes on driver side. So I should pull the glow plugs again and only use the starter pin with key out?
Nope ...please re-read the last paragraph in my previous response

EDIT: OK, so on second thought, you could use the starter jumper -- need all the glow plugs out, then cycle the fuel pump(20 seconds) a few times to flood the leaky cylinder -- Key Off(in or out of the ignition, makes no difference) -- use the jumper to turn the engine and observe which cylinder the fuel blows out -- depending on how much you run the fuel pump, and how bad the injector, will vary the amount of fuel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts