Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for any ideas why my front axles bind up when in 4 wheel drive and the steering wheel is only turn half a revolution
Thanks. Jake

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have this same issue! I Disconnected the Drive shaft to see if i could narrow down the problem. my problem is in the axle assy. i check auto and manuel hubs to see if they are the problem. they are working correctly. i can turn the front drive shift by hand about 3/4 of a revolution before i get binding. i not sure if this truck has limit slip diff. Axle Code is C1. Also check the function of the Transfer case by switching 4x4 High and then back to 2WD. With truck off the ground. Front axle driveshift is engaging and Disengaging with proper setting. any info would be nice. Is this normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pull the axle shafts and check the u-joints on both sides. had one of mine go bad and it caused popping, binding and jumping both in and out of 4x4 because it could only pivot one way.

·
Registered
699 Posts
are the gear ratios the same front and back? when i bought a suburban the guy had two different ratios in it. it would roll a few feet then bind up. matching gears i was good to go.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Are we talking Binding when wheels are straight or turned. My truck will hop when turning of course but straight no binding.... Completely normal

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi,
is it possible to buy those joints? Iv'e only seen the complete shafts for sale.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It's binding because that's how the 4x4 system works... Turning on a dry surface in 4x4 will cause binding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My truck is 95% Stock. it has never had any really front end work. my issue is with the front end off the ground. Wheels straight. turning drive shaft by hand. i have transmission issues also. I have isolated it to the front axle . but i tested the auto hub lock they are working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey folks,

I took apart the front right hub assembly, found that the Axle shaft was damaged and the bearing was damaged. have the right axle assembly out and i still have binding at the drive shaft. any one have any idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts