Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Like the title says, 2002 w/7.3 misses unless I turn on key for 20 min before start. If I just attemp to start it normally, it will fire right up but runs crappy like it’s missing on a couple cylinders. It’s lost a bunch of power because of this so I cannot drive it into town safely (Austin, TX)
Please offer up any solutions you have heard or tried. I’ve been down for several months.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
Did you say 20 Minutes?

There's nothing I can think of that would change between 2mins and 20...

How many miles on your Injectors?

Did this start happening all at once? If so, when?

There's something missing from this picture ;) Do you have any way of scanning for codes or monitoring your sensors? If so, what?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NoRalph
The injectors have at least 200,000 Miles on them.
There was no event that sparked this issue.
I parked it after work and the next day this issue
I kept getting a keep alive memory fault

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
So you're saying that if you roll the key to the ON position and wait 20mins with it in that position, it will start and run normally? BUT, it starts and runs like crap if you don't? AND if you turned the key on for say 3mins, it doesn't make a difference?

That's a Head Scratcher right there :wink[3]:

So first, the keep alive 603 is something we mostly ignore, especially if you have some types of tuning.

Could the 20mins have the IDM evaporate some water inside? (they suffer water incursion because of where they're located). I donno,,, never heard of such a thing and you would have IDM codes present.

The only thing Time normally effects is the Glow Plugs but, at 20mins, they would have been cooling for 18.

Try this though, plug in the block heater for 3hrs and see if that changes anything (warm, thin oil helps high mileage injectors when they first start to fail).

What is it you're using to retrieve codes? Most scanner don't do a proper job on our trucks because they need to have both a Ford Proprietary and Diesel Specific library in them (we are not, specifically, OBD-II but rather a variant called J1850).

Without the right scanner you may not be seeing All your codes.

Again, you have a Very Strange set of symptoms....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strange set indeed....
I have tried it when the glow plug goes off, and at 5, 10, and 15 minutes with no luck. 20 min seems to work consistently but isn’t very practical for work. I have not tried 3 min but I will.
My mechanic Haas a scanner that can do a bunch of stuff. It’s a suitcase type that can program keys and such plus get the codes and is much more knowledge on this stuff than I am.
I’m going to forward this thread with the direction about the block heater and see what happens!
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts