Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off I thank you for reading this, and any input would be greatly appreciated. I just finished up a trip from ok. to tx. and back. I parked my truck went to bed, and when I returned to the truck the following morning it wouldnt turn over. I opened the fuse box, and the relays are clicking, but it wont crank. I checked the voltage on the batteries, and they are both 12.4. They were a little corroded, so I cleaned both of them, and still nothing. The air lights, blinkers, and everything else still works, but no crank click or anything. I left a power inverter plugged in to the auxillary cig lighter port. Could it be the starter? it has never given me any trouble in the past. Thank you for any and all advice on how I could troubleshoot this. I am mechanically challenged.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. Get a charger on those batteries for awhile. Make double sure that isn't your problem. How old are they? Just because they work your lights doesn't mean you have enough amps to turn over a diesel. Takes a lot.

If you can find someone with an AutoEnginuity scanner that would tell you a lot. Post on here in and ask if there is someone in your area that may have one and the willingness to come over and check it out for you. Lots of great folks on here. :thumb:

Get those batteries charged real good and see what happens. You should have a point where the cables come together with a place to hook a charger to. You should be able to charge both at the same time. I always go for a low amp charge for a long time rather than a bunch real quick.. Just me.......

Oh and WELCOME TO THE ORG.!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That battery voltage you measured is borderline. If the batteries were fully charged and healthy then you should measure somewhere between 12.6-12.8 (and even higher shortly after charging). I would start by ensuring your batteries are healthy. Take them up to the autoparts store and have them tested. If they test well, throw them onto a battery charger. If that doesn't fix your problem, come on back and we'll keep going down the list.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
that makes three! our trucks really need good batteries! i know you stated corrosion on the terminals, clean them well, replace if needed. get a good charge and go from there. checking the starter would be the next step i assume. good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put two trucks with jumper cables on it, and still nothing. no clicks or anything.. Where is the starter solenoid? I looked on the passenger side fender, but it isnt there. should I take the starter off and have it tested?

·
Registered
18 Posts
even weak batteries will crank. I would say it's your starter. If you can have someone hold the key over while you slid under the passenger side of the truck with a hammer tap on the starter. My guess is that it will start. Takes about 15 min tops to take the starter out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My truck has done the same thing to me and it was the starter. Parked it at work in the morning, went to go home and nothing, no clicks, nada, replaced the starter and it's fixed. Make sure you check the relay on the pass-side fender, try to jump the two terminals and see if it will turn over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant find that relay anywhere.. the only thing on the passenger side fender that is visible, has hoses coming off of it.. would it be anywhere else?

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
try jumping the solenoid on the starter itself.... i would be willing to bet you will have to replace. good ol' screwdriver will jump it on the two posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 2000 F250 7.3L. Nothing happens when I turn the key. Only some clicking coming from the bottom black relay in the fuse box. I had all the usual suspects checked: Alternator, Starter, Batteries; all are fine. Replaced the starter solenoid and the ingnition switch. Still Nothing! No check engine light on. This is the first true problem I've had with this truck and I am stuck. Some one please help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
connected the Actron Elite to the truck, got a code. However the check engine light never came on: P0603. Keep Alive Memory. Does this mean I have to replace the PCM?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No Crank

I have the same issue, I tried a remote start button between the battery positive and the solenoid terminal on the starter, make sure it is not on the large terminal of the starter but on the small one and press the button, the starter should crank, Alldata lists a TSB about an issue with the wiring harness and there is a kit from ford to repair the harness. I just installed a start button in the glove box until i can get the time to tear into it and repair the harness.

you can also buy a subscription to AllData DYI for your vehicle which gives you most of the factory information on repairs. I have one and it has been great for doing the repairs to the truck.

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
My truck has done the same thing to me and it was the starter. Parked it at work in the morning, went to go home and nothing, no clicks, nada, replaced the starter and it's fixed. Make sure you check the relay on the pass-side fender, try to jump the two terminals and see if it will turn over.
I cant find that relay anywhere.. the only thing on the passenger side fender that is visible, has hoses coming off of it.. would it be anywhere else?
My buddy with an 02' dually had the same thing happen last night in the parking lot at home depot, started fine drove to the store and came back out and not clikc no nothing. On an 02' there is no starter solenoid on the passenger fender panel just FYI, we could not find it anywhere on the truck.

Anyone got any more ideas?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Dont know about 02 specifically, but it has to be somewhere. 02 does ot use its own speiic starter. Gotta have a selenoid. Been a while since i pulled my starter. U may need to jump the wires at the starter to check. Like, previously stated, pulling starter out is easy. Make sure you unhook batterys first. When testing batteries unhook them, test one at a time. When in parallel on the truck you will get the high reading due to oe good battery but possibly have one wasted battery

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
On the '02 and above (and some '01s with the electrical upgrade) that Large starter solenoid (similar to the GP relay) has been replaced by a 30A, Bosch-Type, relay in the Fusebox (looks like any other relay in there). Remember, the Big, electrical switching is being done by the Bendix on the starter itself...

The VERY FIRST thing everybody should be checking when you suddenly turn the Key and Nothing happens is the NSSW (Neutral Safety Switch). Move & Hold the shift selector Up past Park and maybe into Neutral or either side of Neutral.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The starter has the solonoid built onto it in the 02 powerstrokes, the relay that is on the fuse panel operates the solonoid on the starter. If the neutral start switch is not working the relay in the fuse block will not click. I will find the TSB nner for thos issue and post it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts