Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I have a 2002 F350 7.3 4x4 single rear wheel truck that I use as a commercial vehicle, when loaded I gross about 22,000lbs. It has 232,000 miles on it and has been quite trouble free, I think besides maint all I have done in an injector harness. Now I have contracted an annoying howl noise coming from under the truck, seems to be towards the backend of the truck. Starts in at about 30mph and quiets back down over 55mph but is likely still there just cant hear it anymore. At 32mph it is VERY loud. Definately mechanical noise and seems to be high speed. I am very maintenace oriented and have my trans flushed and filled every 30k, have drained and refilled the transfer case 3-4 times. I dropped my rearend (10.5) cover off to look around at the ring gear and pinion and all looked good with no abnormal wear. I refilled with royal purple synthetic with posi additive and made no diff in the noise. So I dont know what to think. I will say that when I am at 32mph and the noise is at its worst, if I let off the gas, the noise completely goes away. Truck has original joints and carrier bearing but cannot feel any slop in them. Would a bad carrier bearing make this noise under accel but go away when you let off the gas? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
601 Posts
i would start by replaceing the ujoints. then if it is still there the carrier bearing. it very well could be a rear end, never heard a 10.5 going out but i did hear a work truck at my work with a rearend going out and it was exactly as you described. it got so bad you could feel the truck vibrating with the same rythem as the sound.changeing the gear oil did nothing. it was a chevy so that tells the whole problem :icon_ford:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well today I went on a 400 mile trip and when I got back home I crawled under the truck and the area where the pinion bearing is was pretty hot, you could only hold your hand on it for maybe 15 seconds. So it seems I have a pinion bearing going out. Does anyone know of a thread or an article for a 10.5 inch pinoin bearing change? I can do this myself, I spent 12 years as an ase master tech, but for gm. Are the axles held into the ford carrier with c clips like on a gm? Does the pinion bearing have a crush sleeve like gm? If so I am sure I can do this myself and save a pile of dough rather than having a ford dealer do it. I need the torque specs though for the pinion nut and the ring gear carrier. Any help? Thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
was your truck loaded? i dont know if it unusual for a pinion bearing to get hot while towing. i had on in my toyota start to get play in it and once i got it out the whole race was blue and black it was getting so hot. i have no clue on how to change one on a 10.5. i never hear anyone touch that rearend.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Replace u-joints and carrier bearing noise will go away when you do that. Just because there is no slop doesn't mean they are not worn out.

Also replace your pinion bearing with it getting that hot, most likely it is siezing up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts