Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any ideas on what might be wrong with my power door locks? They have power and all but they will not pull the lock down or push the lock up. They will start to move a little bit when you first push the switch but the more you push it the less it moves until it stops moving completely.

·
Registered
2001 F350 7.3L SRW
4 Posts
I didn't spend the time to look specifically inside the old door locks, but picked up a set on amazon, and they were pretty easy to install. My issue was the same as yours. Difference, though, is that the actuator arm is metal on the originals, and the aftermarket ones I got (not very expensive, like $30 for four) are plastic.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
There is a thermal breaker strip in the lock motor that looses contact over time resulting in lazy or no operation similar to what you're experiencing. There used to be reports of peeps stuffing tinfoil into the cavity to circumvent the problem. Its been awhile since I saw any reports of anyone trying this method, at the time I thought it was kind of a half-a$$ deal. I had one lazy lock when I got my truck in 2013, I replaced it with a Ford-store part, about $30 at the time. They have all continued to work since.

You have to pull the latch assembly to replace the lock motor. While the latch is out, check the door ajar switch for sticking which is another common problem, and can only be addressed while the latch is out. Kill both gremlins at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts