Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm having trouble getting my battery light to come over. It has turned on and remained on since I bought the one in February(only put 2000 miles on it) after the first one went out. Although the battery light is on the charging system is working fine and will start right up every time. Today I exchanged that alternator on warranty and the battery light is still on. I also changed the connector
. The battery light will turn off when I unplug the connector from the alternator but when it is plugged in the light will come back on. My cluster, radio, etc will turn off randomly as if it's losing power. I watched a few videos on some folks replacing the alternator and I don't notice them hooking up a ground to them and mine has one.
I'm not sure what is causing the battery light to come one. Wired pigtail wrong? No ground? Keep getting bad alternators? Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Volt meter, thats what you need 13.9 to 14.9 running. at the batteries, if you don't have that, it's not charging, plain and simple

·
Registered
493 Posts
Back when I had my 02 I had a problem like that. Ended up being one of the fusible links in the harness had corroded. I replaced the whole harness and it was perfect for years after.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello, I'm having trouble getting my battery light to come over. It has turned on and remained on since I bought the one in February(only put 2000 miles on it) after the first one went out. Although the battery light is on the charging system is working fine and will start right up every time. Today I exchanged that alternator on warranty and the battery light is still on. I also changed the connector
. The battery light will turn off when I unplug the connector from the alternator but when it is plugged in the light will come back on. My cluster, radio, etc will turn off randomly as if it's losing power. I watched a few videos on some folks replacing the alternator and I don't notice them hooking up a ground to them and mine has one.
I'm not sure what is causing the battery light to come one. Wired pigtail wrong? No ground? Keep getting bad alternators? Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its possible that it can still charge with an advisory light illuminated. The wires I can see look like crap so I would think that if the charging system appears to be operating normally then the battery light has found a ground due to either corrosion or broken shielding somewhere before the relay that would turn the light on due to failure or the relay itself for the light may be shorted internally so that it's always energized. I'm an aircraft electrician and I've seen some weird things so I'm just saying bad wiring and electricians never say its wiring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts