Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im 17 year old and I recenty bought a 2002 f350 7.3 auto with 290KM from my brother. I repainted this summer with my dad and its completly stock other than foil delete. I plan on putting a PHP Hydra chip on it in the next week or so and possibly a intake and exhaust in the next year or so. I was wondering if I need gauges? It has the factory trans temp gauge on it. I cut and bag approx 4000 bag of firewood myself and deliver during the summer. Other than that I might do occasinal towing at my brother farm and i will be going up north 3+ times a year pulling a couple atvs and dirtbikes. Is gauges something I 100% need? also i should mention my brother who owned it before me bought it new and used it to pull a 38ft and 24ft gooseneck and was almost always 1-2 thousand pounds overweight. Hes never had the factory temp rise near the hot and it is still running on the original tranny with no hard shifts or problems. If i do need gauges would anyone reccomend glowshift 7 color series? Im from Niagra Falls, Canada. Thank you, Jon

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Welcome to the org!

If you didn't install a php hydra there would be no reason for guages even towing heavy the truck will not get hot enough egt wise. But since you plan on towing and adding the hydra chip I would reccomend the following and my reasoning.

Generally speaking you have some options for guages.

-scanguage
-edge insight monitor
-typical piler pod guages (3 gauages on the drivers pillar) stayaway from glowcrap if you really want the piller pods.
-phone app/tablet app torq pro/others and a bluetooth to obdII adapter

Personally the small bump in cost for the edge insight monitor with the egt probe is the way to go... It will read and clear check engine lights/codes, allow you to read other IMPORTANT sensor son a 7.3l if you have issues down the road, ICP, IPR, readings etc. While the pillar pod is limited to 1-4 guages and usually cost more/way more labor intensive vs just pluggin into the obdII port. Scanguage is ugly and really limited and requires you to program it or purcahse a pre-programmed one from a place like bulletproofdiesel etc. the tablet/obdII reader is just a pita in my opinion. Don't loose the adapter, make sure your phone is using the app, draining its battery like crazy. While the edge insight could be stolen its VERY RARE. I have used two since 2011. one on a different truck and another one since 2016. It handles the -25 degree winters and when we see inlaws the 100+ summers fine. I still try to lay something on it to keep it out of direct sunlight if its gonna sit facing the sun. No issues so far though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the org!

If you didn't install a php hydra there would be no reason for guages even towing heavy the truck will not get hot enough egt wise. But since you plan on towing and adding the hydra chip I would reccomend the following and my reasoning.

Generally speaking you have some options for guages.

-scanguage
-edge insight monitor
-typical piler pod guages (3 gauages on the drivers pillar) stayaway from glowcrap if you really want the piller pods.
-phone app/tablet app torq pro/others and a bluetooth to obdII adapter

Personally the small bump in cost for the edge insight monitor with the egt probe is the way to go... It will read and clear check engine lights/codes, allow you to read other IMPORTANT sensor son a 7.3l if you have issues down the road, ICP, IPR, readings etc. While the pillar pod is limited to 1-4 guages and usually cost more/way more labor intensive vs just pluggin into the obdII port. Scanguage is ugly and really limited and requires you to program it or purcahse a pre-programmed one from a place like bulletproofdiesel etc. the tablet/obdII reader is just a pita in my opinion. Don't loose the adapter, make sure your phone is using the app, draining its battery like crazy. While the edge insight could be stolen its VERY RARE. I have used two since 2011. one on a different truck and another one since 2016. It handles the -25 degree winters and when we see inlaws the 100+ summers fine. I still try to lay something on it to keep it out of direct sunlight if its gonna sit facing the sun. No issues so far though.
Thanks for the quick response. Id like to stay away from the phone apps if i can. I really like the look of the pillar gauges. What brand would you reccomend? Also id like boost and egt gauges but is trans temp really needed if i have the factory one?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm with you on liking the classic pillar gauge look but you are talking about spending as much if not more than you would for the Insight and have not even a quarter of the usefulness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with you on liking the classic pillar gauge look but you are talking about spending as much if not more than you would for the Insight and have not even a quarter of the usefulness.
okay ill look into the edge insight. do you find ther obd2 style is more accuace than traditonal gauges?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
okay ill look into the edge insight. do you find ther obd2 style is more accuace than traditonal gauges?

Its kind of a wash as far as accuracy... You'll want egt, boost, oil temp, and trans temp if you plan on towing heavy. Most of the time the edge insight really shines when you have issues and you can check the code, read the sensor outputs and save a lot of money vs just taking it to a mechanic every time something comes up. There is nothing wrong with the piller pods they are just expensive, labor intensive and don't offer anything else except the 1-4 pods info. no code read ability, no real true diagnostics outside of wow my egts or temps are high etc. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time the insight with the egt probe kit is worth its weight in Gold. If you already have a good scanner that you know forsure will read Fords its kind of just a wash price wise. The insight is a better bang for your buck logically but its also your truck :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its kind of a wash as far as accuracy... You'll want egt, boost, oil temp, and trans temp if you plan on towing heavy. Most of the time the edge insight really shines when you have issues and you can check the code, read the sensor outputs and save a lot of money vs just taking it to a mechanic every time something comes up. There is nothing wrong with the piller pods they are just expensive, labor intensive and don't offer anything else except the 1-4 pods info. no code read ability, no real true diagnostics outside of wow my egts or temps are high etc. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time the insight with the egt probe kit is worth its weight in Gold. If you already have a good scanner that you know forsure will read Fords its kind of just a wash price wise. The insight is a better bang for your buck logically but its also your truck :)
okay thanks for the help. ill do some more research on the two options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts